Peavey 3120!!!

scooped-mids

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dude, not sure if you saw the thread but I got a old school Peavey Ultra 120 of Ebay for $160 and holy {censored}, this thing is awesome. I'm actually in disbelief over how much gain, lowend and just pure awesomeness this thing contains, my first impression was this blows my recto, 6505, and Jvm away for high gain. I've got spend some more time with this thing, and crank it up today, this amp can't possibly be as awesome as it seems.

As far as I know though aren't the Ultra 120 > Ultra plus 120 > XXX > and 3120 all pretty much all the same amp just different evolutions of it?

• Members

Dude, not sure if you saw the thread but I got a old school Peavey Ultra 120 of Ebay for $160 and holy {censored}, this thing is awesome. I'm actually in disbelief over how much gain, lowend and just pure awesomeness this thing contains, my first impression was this blows my recto, 6505, and Jvm away for high gain. I've got spend some more time with this thing, and crank it up today, this amp can't possibly be as awesome as it seems.

As far as I know though aren't the Ultra 120 > Ultra plus 120 > XXX > and 3120 all pretty much all the same amp just different evolutions of it?

Yep..the XXX is the updated Ultra+ with three channels and some tone alterations. The 3120 is the XXX with EL34s. The Ultra 120 is he Daddy to the whole line. You also have the JSX which is a modified XXX. And the Triple XXX II is the new JSX (supposedly with tonal tweeks)

Honestly I'd love to get a 3120 to go with my JSX, and an Ultra+, and even a XXX II.

Is there a Peavey Ultra group on the forum? We really should start one

• Members

Yep..the XXX is the updated Ultra+ with three channels and some tone alterations. The 3120 is the XXX with EL34s. The Ultra 120 is he Daddy to the whole line. You also have the JSX which is a modified XXX. And the Triple XXX II is the new JSX (supposedly with tonal tweeks)

Honestly I'd love to get a 3120 to go with my JSX, and an Ultra+, and even a XXX II.

Is there a Peavey Ultra group on the forum? We really should start one

No {censored}, we need a Ultra fan club. These get no pub for awesome they are.

• Members

I had a JSX on my bench earlier in the week and I was surprised to find out that it didn't sound like a sack of {censored}. There must be a lot of user error with that amp.

Which is typical of most peavey amps when someone says they suck.

• Members

I had a JSX on my bench earlier in the week and I was surprised to find out that it didn't sound like a sack of {censored}. There must be a lot of user error with that amp.

With all the features..hidden features..and the active EQ..it's VERY easy to make the amp sound a hot mess..but when dialed in with some damn sense those amps are amazing

• Members

The Ultra is so ugly it goes pretty much unnoticed. Just like all the other late 80's early 90's Peavey gems. Ugly on the outside, beastly on the inside.

There are things I like about each of the ultra series amps, but I'd like to make my own version. The JSX is my favorite due to versatility. The Ultra Plus looks the best. I'd end up having so many knobs and buttons it would look like a Kustom Double Cross. God I wish James Brown made the Double Cross from a JSX.

• Members

The crunch channel on the Triple xxx is one of my favorite tones ever. I have not played an Ultra, but I have owned 4 XXX's and a JSX and I love those amps. I am considering getting another one soon. I put a 12atz in the Triple XXX and it made it allot more versatile and better for mid gain tones. I prefer it with 12ax7 though. They can be had for cheap and they will {censored} all over a ton of other amps three times the price.

• Members

The Ultra is so ugly it goes pretty much unnoticed. Just like all the other late 80's early 90's Peavey gems. Ugly on the outside, beastly on the inside.

There are things I like about each of the ultra series amps, but I'd like to make my own version. The JSX is my favorite due to versatility. The Ultra Plus looks the best. I'd end up having so many knobs and buttons it would look like a Kustom Double Cross. God I wish James Brown made the Double Cross from a JSX.

I was expecting great things from the Double Cross but all I ever hear is thin horrid nonsense from those amps.

• Members

Just because we need some:

[video=youtube;THLbgCBxzDk]

[video=youtube;TFw7U1PzIN8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFw7U1PzIN8

[video=youtube;-1cuYGWK3sM]

[video=youtube;RNTux2NpTng]

[video=youtube;wrk9z5TAXao]

[video=youtube;epu50XwI80c]

[video=youtube;wixzAf0bdIM]

[video=youtube;3BMO3R0V_hY]

[video=youtube;Xz7cimm5tWk]

[video=youtube;2tbvjkkkfV0]

• Members

I think its becoming apparent for my use of the xxx. I definitely have a good grasp on recording my rig and I know there is some awesome tones in the xxx/3120. I recently switched back to the kt77s in my xxx and it is a bit warmer compared to the 6l6 and a little more "brown" sounding. The one time I tried the el34s in my xxx I really disliked it, but I'm fairly certain I had some {censored} tubes. I may give it a shot again.

• Members

There were two JSX's produced, the second run had some mods done from peavey to either reduce or add brightness, can't remember really. Mods are simple and supposedely make the amp cut through better.

I really think user error is 99% possible with the XXX etc line. {censored}ing active eq can be a blessing or {censored} to your tone and as if this is not enough, the damn bass control seems dominant to me...It is really easy to try and back off some bass and end up with a paper thin raspy tone instead. But when you click it right, it rapes.

• Members

There were two JSX's produced, the second run had some mods done from peavey to either reduce or add brightness, can't remember really. Mods are simple and supposedely make the amp cut through better.

Is there actually truth to this? Where'd you hear about it? I heard this somewhere else too..that later the amps were modded to reduce that metallic clang/cocked wah sound

• Members

the 5150 and xxx are great in the fact they both cover similar ground and both are aggression perfected. But the 5150 is the raw side and the ultra series has more refined sound but still being brutal. Sometimes when playing my xxx its really amazing at how smooth and clear it can sound will still dishing out a very pleasing saturated gain. If that doesn't fit your tastes, then I can see someone disliking these amps. Otherwise the ultra series sits very near the top, imo. And when you factor in the price and reliability I'll never understand the PV hate.

• Members

Is there actually truth to this? Where'd you hear about it? I heard this somewhere else too..that later the amps were modded to reduce that metallic clang/cocked wah sound

peavey forums!!! I read a lot when I got my XXX...I mean a lot, search function is {censored}, googling is {censored} so I scrolled the pages and tried to fish for XXX/JSX etc on the topic titles. Tiresome...

Archived