New 6v6 for vintage Fender Deluxe Reverb

Mikoo69

• Members

difference between Groove Tubes and JJs? Most important considerations are great overdrive as I keep the amp pretty cranked, and best midrange; i hate brittle nasty highs since I'm using a strat, i want something that isn't too ice-picky.

• Members

They all sound pretty much the same. If you are looking at different power tube brands to get your sound, you're seriously barking up the wrong tree. Pickups and pedals, my friend.

Not completely true, although I would say that overall the tube type matters more than the tube brand. It depends on how much the person drives the power-section and how much attention they pay to the feel of the amp vs. the sound.

• Members

You can get more results changing a 50 cent capacitor inside your amp than spending hundreds on vintage tubes.

You can get even more by unplugging it!

Throw it off of the roof of your dorm!

Speakers make a bigger difference in changing your tone-poke screwdrivers through yours!!!

:facepalm:

If you don't think you can hear the difference between some old Brimar 6V6s (can sound a bit EL34 under drive) and some JJ6V6s (closer to 6L6s tone-wise) in an old Deluxe reverb, you're an Idiot, which is fine. Just please stop posting stupid {censored} like this- (Not just you, Guitar capo-did'nt mean to single you out) people might be under the impression you actually have any experience (real world) with the gear in question.

You can still find Brimars, they've gotten expensive.

People who's ears I trust (and have IQs above 60) w/experience w/New/old gear speak well of the New Tung Sol 6V6s, as well as the Genelex 6V6s

Up for some reading?? http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=583190

Here's some reviews http://thetubestore.com/6v6types.html

• Members

This might get interesting.

Sadly, not really. Your opinion don't = facts. A tube change doesn't mean someone's looking for a huge change of E.Q.

In the O.P.'s case, he was looking for something close to a specific tube for a specific amp.

Out of the woodwork, came the usual...

"Pickups and pedals, my friend. " Huh? So, $300+ instead of $40-$150 tubes, to not get the tone he asked for.

"JJ's and a Cannabis Rex." No. A 6L6 sounding tube and a warmer C12n, w/o knowing what speaker he has now isn't the ticket.

Just answered his question, just for a change of pace. If the O.P has any more q's,feel free to P.M. me.

Archived