OT- North Carolina dudes step in, I'm heading up that way.

zeusecho

• Members

First off, hope you all had a great Holiday with your families! :wave:

My buddy just moved up to Sherrils Ford and we are going up to see him and stay on Lake Norman for a week in January. I know it may be cold but we'd like to fish on the Lake and do some hiking and camping as well. I don't mind driving a ways to get some mountains or scenic areas.

Any tips from the locals on things to do or see would be much appreciated. :thu:

• Members

Stay away from Charlotte - it's boring as hell.

If you are in the Lake Norman area, Mac's Speed Shop has decent BBQ (but I get their delicious tacos) and the Prickly Pear in Mooresville is decent Mexican food.

I'd recommend going up to Asheville. You will want to check on closures on the Blue Ridge Parkway but there's an awful lot to do up there. I'd like to move up there, myself. A closer hike might be Crowder's Mountain in Gaston county.

• Members

I just left there a couple days ago. Mother-inlaw lives in Statesville. Father-inlaw & Bro Inlaw live @ Mountain Island Lake.

If you like BBQ, try Carolina BBQ @ Statesville. GOOD stuff.

I'd say check Asheville out. Lots of cool stuff up there.

Stay aways from Charlotte. Good place to get robbed, cut, or shot.

On a rainy day, the news is entertaining, if your into crime lol.

Damnit...I forgot to bring back some Cheerwine

• Members

I just left there a couple days ago. Mother-inlaw lives in Statesville. Father-inlaw & Bro Inlaw live @ Mountain Island Lake.

Cool thanks man! I'll have the family with me so it's definitely good to know where "not" to go.

Asheville and the Blue Ridge Parkway sound like win!

• Members

Um, I am from Statesville and I am sitting there right now. I work in Statesville but live on Lake Norman. I wonder if I know your mom in law.

• Members

Some NC state parks close for the winter. Be sure to check before you make plans: http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/momi/main.php

+1 on checking out Asheville. Beer-city USA. :thu:

I've had some good hikes in Uwharrie National Forest / Morrow Mountain & recently took my family to hike around the waterfalls at Dupont State Forest (Brevard area) which was a fun half-day.

If you don't mind the longer drive and are pretty fit, the hike from Newfound Gap to Charlie's Bunyon is one of my favorites. It is part of the AT on the NC/TN border, just past Cherrokee on 441. Hiked it again with my daughter last spring.

Enjoy.

• Members

Cool thanks man! I'll have the family with me so it's definitely good to know where "not" to go.

Asheville and the Blue Ridge Parkway sound like win!

That's not true. Like any other major city, it likely depends on the zip code. There are some parts you don't want to go into, but there are areas with good restaurants and culture (noDa, Plaza-Midwood, and Dilworth) that are fine. Avoid University City/Tryon St north of uptown at night.

• Members

Um, I am from Statesville and I am sitting there right now. I work in Statesville but live on Lake Norman. I wonder if I know your mom in law.

She's only been there a few years. Came from Western NY about 15 yrs ago, then to Ralleigh, then to Statesville a few years ago. She lives up on E. Broad near down town.

That pawn shop over on Davie (before you get to food lion / walgreens) has a kick ass little black SG in there. Unfortunantly, they want too much (typical pawn shop). I play it every time I go in there.

I hit up the pawn shops & stuff usually when Im there, but have only been in one music store, and they mostly had accoustic stuff.

You've prolly seen the wife walking the dog in statesville before. He sticks out like a sore thumb. (a chick who looks like Jennifer connelly walking a black mastiff thats only got 3 legs ha ha. When we go places there, people always recognize us bc they always remember seeing the dog)

• Members

Nearby - in Hickory - is a VERY good restaurant near the college.

www.youssef242.com

Rather pricey, but if you're a foodie you'll love it. Outstanding wine list, too, with the glass "cave" in the center of the restaurant! The owner's a great guy - my wife and I got to know him over 20 years ago, and have watched him make his way up. You can find the same sort of thing in Charlotte in the banking district, but here you get the top-drawer experience without the snobbery.

• Members

Rather pricey, but if you're a foodie you'll love it. Outstanding wine list, too, with the glass "cave" in the center of the restaurant! The owner's a great guy - my wife and I got to know him over 20 years ago, and have watched him make his way up. You can find the same sort of thing in Charlotte in the banking district, but here you get the top-drawer experience without the snobbery.

Someone was telling me about the same place awhile back. I may try it next time Im down. There's sposed to be a really good Sushi place in Hickory as well.

• Members

Looks like a really cool place, thanks.

• Members

Avoid hickory at all costs unless you like being hopelessly lost.
:lol:

Tru dat. If anyone tells you they're on "10th Street NW", abandon all hope.

Valid street names include:

10th Street

10th Street Drive

10th Street Circle

10th Street Boulevard

10th Street Lane

10th Street Place

10th Avenue

10th Street Circle Drive

....and that's just in the NW quadrant.

:facepalm:

Archived