A-RAM AR4GB1333D3V DDR3 PC-10600 1333MHz 4GB $23.00

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB WD5000AAKX $39.00

ASUS DRW-24B3ST 24X DVDRW? Drive $25.00

($572)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's my suggestion provided you have a case and PSU.

excellent video card suggestion, not a bad processor too (I'm using passmark website to rate this stuff, so not sure if real-world use will prove different than their test results, but still...)

Just remembering now that it's not just a case I've got sitting around, it's a whole desktop. The DVD drive in it was relatively new when I had to put it in storage, and had ethernet and wireless cards in it. I don't remember a thing about the processor or anything (I got it about 6 or 7 years ago), so I wonder if there's any chance of reusing the mobo too? I admittedly don't know much about those so not sure if I could still put a more modern processor and more memory in it.

Ovid, sorry for derailing your thread. I still recommend xbox :lol: But if you got a PC, you could play SWTOR with us :D

• Members

Both are fine choices. Get the system that has the games you want. If they both have the games you want, then it comes down to features.. I prefer the Xbox's controller, but I also prefer the PS3's OS. To me the PS3 has more of an "adult" feel to it, while the Xbox is more "Teenage" oriented.. I prefer powering on the PS3 to play games, but I also prefer the Xbox's controller..

I use the PS3 mainly for HTPC purposes, and does better than the Xbox in that regard. The Xbox is great for Halo. That's pretty much the extent of it for me :idk:

• Members

PowerColor Radeon HD6870 1GB $169.00

Antec Neo Eco 520C 520W Power Supply $69.00

Antec Three Hundred Case $59.00

Intel Core i3 2100 $129.00

ASRock H61M-HVS Motherboard $59.00

A-RAM AR4GB1333D3V DDR3 PC-10600 1333MHz 4GB $23.00

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB WD5000AAKX $39.00

ASUS DRW-24B3ST 24X DVDRW? Drive $25.00

($572)

where did you find that hard drive for that price? Everywhere I look it's 100 bucks....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769

Pioneerprogress: I agree that 160gb hdd is a joke, but with the recent flooding the thailand, the prices of hdd's have skyrocketed. The 500gb I used to see for less than 50 are not more than one 100. I picked the 160 because it fit in the budget better lol, I tried to find one with even less to save money. HDD prices are killing us right now. If you have certain things already then spending 500 to upgrade opens a lot more doors as opposed to spending 500 on the whole thing.

• Members

where did you find that hard drive for that price? Everywhere I look it's 100 bucks....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769

Pioneerprogress: I agree that 160gb hdd is a joke, but with the recent flooding the thailand, the prices of hdd's have skyrocketed. The 500gb I used to see for less than 50 are not more than one 100. I picked the 160 because it fit in the budget better lol, I tried to find one with even less to save money. HDD prices are killing us right now. If you have certain things already then spending 500 to upgrade opens a lot more doors as opposed to spending 500 on the whole thing.

which is the reason why I rushed to buy a new computer for our office last month. Got that one in before prices shot up as much as they already have. Too late for personal use though :(

• Members

Ovid, sorry for derailing your thread. I still recommend xbox
:lol:
But if you got a PC, you could play SWTOR with us
:D

And its all good dude. :thu: SWTOR is a MMORPG right? No way am I touching one of those with a 10 foot pole. :lol:

I'm prolly gonna get the 360 sometime in the next week or two. I'm just not interested in going back down the rabbit hole of PC gaming. Not a knock on it, just not something that interests me much anymore. :)

• Members

That's actually not too bad...160gb is kind of a joke, though. My laptop is 4 years old and has 250 (and that's about 60% full, btw)

Here is a guide to go by.. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-overclock-performance-gaming,3097.html

Its not my favorite picks, but at least it gives you an idea of what you can get for that money..

Component

Model

Price

CPU

Intel Core i5-2400

$190

CPU Cooler

Intel Boxed Heat Sink and Fan

$0

Motherboard

MSI PH61A-P35

$70

RAM

Wintec AMPO 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) DDR3-1333 3AMD31333-4G2K-NHR

$25

Graphics

Sapphire 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1 GB

$180

Hard Drive

Seagate Barracuda ST3500413AS 500 GB SATA 6Gb/s

$50

Case

Xigmatek Asgard II B/B CPC-T45UC-U01

$30

Power

Antec EarthWatts Green EA430D 430 W

$45

Optical

Samsung 22x DVD Burner SATA Model SH-222AB

$17

Total Price

$607

• Members

suh-weet!!!

Just found a manufacturer refurb HP with 6-core phenom ii, 8gb ram, completely useable radeon hd video card, win 7 64 bit, for 350 bucks.

I couldn't have custom built half that computer for that :love:

They showed 2 in stock when I ordered, there should be another left.

http://store.onsale.com/p/product~dpno~8815836~pdp.giecdja

• Members

If you are not going to be playing online I would get a new PS3:...

why not? Online play is free on PS3, whereas xBox charges you monthly subscription to do so.

I am by no means saying the PS3 is the better gamer, but for me it is. Games, BRD player, free online. Not to mention local networking and internet streaming and all that other {censored} that probably both systems can do.

• Members

If you want to play Skyrim on it, get the xbox. The PS3 version of Skyrim has awful framerate, it's virtually unplayable in some situations even after installing the patch that was supposed to fix the issues..

I just want to chime in and say this is a YMMV situation. I've been playing Skyrim on my PS3 for a vagina-repellingly long time, and the only issue I've had is the occasional freeze-up when moving from one zone to another. No framerate issues, no unplayability, nothing. Not to discount that there is a vocal contingent out there who have definitely had real issues, but it's not a given by any means. You just don't get a lot of people who will stand up and shout, "This game plays just fine on my PS3, dammit! I have no complaints, you mother{censored}ers!"

• Members

You just don't get a lot of people who will stand up and shout, "This game plays just fine on my PS3, dammit! I have no complaints, you mother{censored}ers!"

lol, this applies to a plethora of real life situations and is illustrative of why "Squeaky wheel gets the grease" is destroying civilization.

• Members

lol, this applies to a plethora of real life situations and is illustrative of why "Squeaky wheel gets the grease" is destroying civilization.

As much as I love it here....internet forums are destroying people's ability to critically think.

Person is having car trouble. Goes online, punches in symptom, finds forum with 12 other people who had this problem (on a car that has sold 100s of thousands). Person calls dealership and wonders if there is a recall. Gets pissed when there isn't, goes and rants about problem online to the others with the "same" problem. :lol::mad:

• Members

CSB content...

Off work sick today, wanted to pick up a new game to play while I vegged on the couch...Ended up buying a brand new Wii, and within 5 minutes of opening the box, I was softmodding it to play old ROMs on
:facepalm:
Why can't I just leave things alone
:lol:

Playing old Roms + Netflix streaming are the ONLY reasons to own a wii. :thu:

• Members

Playing old Roms + Netflix streaming are the ONLY reasons to own a wii.
:thu:

To be honest, it was kind of a stupid purchase :facepalm::lol: I have netflix streaming on at least 3 other devices, and I have all my roms on my PC :idk:

Either way, there are a couple cool games for Wii that make fun drinking games with the bro's and ho's

• Members

To be honest, it was kind of a stupid purchase
:facepalm::lol:
I have netflix streaming on at least 3 other devices, and I have all my roms on my PC
:idk:

Either way, there are a couple cool games for Wii that make fun drinking games with the bro's and ho's

This is true as well.

• Members

he'll play those games twice, then forget about them. I haven't turned on my wii to actually play it since June.

Well, he isn't married/doesn't have kids. He might party harder than us dude.

Otherwise, yeah, you're totally right. :lol:

Archived