5150 combo effects loop problem

ripton

• Members

Okay so today I received my new carbon copy delay pedal, only to find that either something is wrong with my effects loop, or it just doesn't like the pedal.

I've been using my Boss GT-10 and it actually works pretty well, but I still have to turn the effects mix up to around 75% or a bit more to hear the effects. Thinking the carbon copy would sound better I tried it in the effects loop with everything maxed and it was coming through as if I had the mix set to 25% or less, the delay was very weak.

There is no volume drop, and I've used contact cleaner. Didn't seem to solve the problem. Any suggestions?

• Members

The 5150 loop is pretty hot (line level) and the CC doesn't do well on hot loops so that's my guess. The pedal could be broken too, have you tried it in front of the amp (clean channel) just to make sure it's working?

Thanks Billy. Yeah the pedal works fine in front of the amp. I just don't how it sound on the distortion channel. Never heard of a effects loop being so damn picky.

Are all 5150s - 6505+ models the same as far as effects loops?

• Members

Thanks Billy. Yeah the pedal works fine in front of the amp. I just don't how it sound on the distortion channel. Never heard of a effects loop being so damn picky.

Are all 5150s - 6505+ models the same as far as effects loops?

yes.

My suggestion would be to return the CC and get a TC Electronic Nova Repeater. It will work well with the 5150 loop and it sounds just as good if not better.

• Members

yes.

My suggestion would be to return the CC and get a TC Electronic Nova Repeater. It will work well with the 5150 loop and it sounds just as good if not better.

That sucks. How about fish & chips eq pedal....does the 5150 have a problem with this too? ;-)

• Members

The 5150 loop is pretty hot (line level) and the CC doesn't do well on hot loops so that's my guess. The pedal could be broken too, have you tried it in front of the amp (clean channel) just to make sure it's working?

???

The 5150 loop is instrument level and is made for pedals. It normally plays well with pedals and not rack units.

• Members

???

The 5150 loop is instrument level and is made for pedals. It normally plays well with pedals and not rack units.

That's how my combo is.

I've never had pedals not sound good in the loop.. Rack stuff, no bueno..

Maybe the OP isn't used to an analog delay..? It won't be as loud and crystal clear as a digital, obviously. It's more.of a subdued warmer sound..

• Members

That's how my combo is.

I've never had pedals not sound good in the loop.. Rack stuff, no bueno..

Maybe the OP isn't used to an analog delay..? It won't be as loud and crystal clear as a digital, obviously. It's more.of a subdued warmer sound..

The thing is the pedal doesn't really do well at all in the loops. It's not the volume that's the problem, it's the delay time and the tone of the pedal that's weak.

I'm just trying to find out if it's in fact the effects loop that's the problem or if there is something else wrong with the amp.

• Members

Hmmmm. Seriously? I keep it around 1

Turn it up and see if it balances better. That will tell you if it is that pedal, or just all pedals.

I used to have issues with mine when I lived in apartments. After I moved and I could keep the master at 2 or higher, the loop didn't give me issues anymore...

• Members

Turn it up and see if it balances better. That will tell you if it is that pedal, or just all pedals.

I used to have issues with mine when I lived in apartments. After I moved and I could keep the master at 2 or higher, the loop didn't give me issues anymore...

I'll give it a go. I hope it's really that simple. Just never had this problem with any other amp.

Thanks

• Members

I'll give it a go. I hope it's really that simple. Just never had this problem with any other amp.

Thanks

Yeah, the loop is kind of a {censored}ty design because there is a small amount of bleed although it is serial. It is only noticeable when it is at very low volumes though.

Archived