Dropping in a new OT. Help me.

nerol1st

• Members

So here is the problem. I have no way of figuring out what kind of bassman I have because for some {censored}ed up reason someone tried to scratch off the model number (yeah can't figure that out either). I also don't know where to find the serial if it even exists anymore.

So anyhow I want to drop in a new OT. I ordered a webber W022756 to replace the stock L022756. I am very comfortable soldering and like I have said in the other thread I have modded a Vjr (I know not really that impressive :thu:) and built and modded a few pedals.

I can't find a schematic of this amp and don't really care to petition fender for one, even though it is $5, I don't want to wait (if anyone has one you are god) :'(.

Because I am not sure of the model of this (other than it's a silverface 100) bassman. I can't be sure that this is the schematic or not: http://www.drtube.com/schematics/fender/bassman100.gif

I'm guessing it's not due to the wire color being totally different in reference to the OT.

I'm hoping with the pics I have provided we can figure this out together (without me having to drop $50 to hire someone to do it :cry:)?

First off the replacement OT (sorry if any of these are huge):

022756sch.jpg

Open chassis with webber in place:

Ampguts.png

Now for an explanation of each of those numbers:

1: Runs to the main on/off switch. Original wire was either brown or black really hard to tell since we are dealing with wiring more than 30 years old.

2: Runs to the 1-N-2 Ground selector switch. Original wire was white.

3: There are three wires here: A purplish blue wire (solid color) running into that resister you see lying next to it. The other 2 wires are both plum colored and run into a series of caps both going the same way (polarity wise) towards one solder point (they end at the same spot so I'm guessing these wires are not crucial to mix up on the replacement OT just got make sure I have the same 2 wires!)

4: The two wires that my camera is making look wired are colored yellow with an orange stripe and the other is colored solid orange (or maybe yellow hard to say). Either way they are both connected to the same point. I must note that the yellowish ones are wired right into the chassis and one of the mounting lugs on the OT itself.

5. Two green wires running into the on jewel light. Both are solid green. Not much more to know other than each are running to a different point on the light itself.

Hopefully this is enough info for someone to help me if not let me know. :cry:

• Members

(1)

Your Black wire goes here.

(2)

Your brown wire (for 120v) goes to the ground selector switch. (or the blue wire for 125v) whichever one you do not use is taped up and tucked away.

(3)

One wire is your 50v bias supply, that is your old purpleish blue wire. New wire is the blue/red and goes here and the red/yellow is grounded.

The other two wires (plum color) go to your solid state rectifier, thse are all diodes going in one direction, not caps. Your new wires should be either the two solid red wires, or the two red white wires (depending on which voltage you need) The unused wires just get taped up and tucked away. [ I would hook up the two red white wires and then take voltage readings to see if you are close to the values on the schematic. If you are way low, try the two solid red wires and see if you are closer] According to what is written on the schematic I believe you need the 600v supply which is the two red/white wires.

(4)

Those two yellow (orange) wires are ground, all of your grounds can go there. (The green yellow, and red/yellow for example)

(5)

Yes the two greens are heaters.

PS: Yes that is the correwct schematic for that amp. I prefer http://schematicheaven.com/ for schematic reserch.

• Members

Well amp is working better (you were right 600v was what I wanted).

But it didn't get rid of the problem :'(. However it improved the sound of the amp quite an impressive bit.

All well, I feel a little bit better at this point taking it to a tech (at this point I am out of ideas as to whats going on with this amp).

Here is whats going on:

Volume drops and static noise comes in every once and a while.

New tubes, caps, and sockets (is that what they are called) were just dropped in at the end of last year by voodoo (they are only an hour away) amps in Lansing. I just put the new OT in and I think it fixed some of the problem but didn't elminate it.

I think I am just gonna take it to FJA (closer to auburn than lansing, located near Syracuse) and have him once over it.

• Members

Well amp is working better (you were right 600v was what I wanted).

But it didn't get rid of the problem :'(. However it improved the sound of the amp quite an impressive bit.

All well, I feel a little bit better at this point taking it to a tech (at this point I am out of ideas as to whats going on with this amp).

Here is whats going on:

Volume drops and static noise comes in every once and a while.

New tubes, caps, and sockets (is that what they are called) were just dropped in at the end of last year by voodoo (they are only an hour away) amps in Lansing. I just put the new OT in and I think it fixed some of the problem but didn't elminate it.

I think I am just gonna take it to FJA (closer to auburn than lansing, located near Syracuse) and have him once over it.

You installed a PT (power transformer) not an OT (Out put transformer) I hope the pt is what you intended to install.

Did you clean all your pots? BTW

Archived