Different manufacturers of 1x12 cabs... Looking to buy one & looking for input!

colejustesen

• Members

So I was scoping ebay to see what was available for a 1x12 cabinet. I was looking for prices and to see what is available in a 1x12 cabinet. I know Avatar makes some 1x12 cabs, and at the moment I think either the Vintage or Contemporary cab would be great, though I would lean more towards the Vintage style.

While I was searching, I came across two brands of cabinets that peaked my interest. The first was a 1x12 from Sesimic Audio, that to me looks like a knock off of the Orange cabinet and also reminiscent of the the Avatar Contemporary cab. This one runs $145 with free shipping. It also states that all 6 sides are made from 1/2" birch ply, which is :thu: for me.

Seismic Audio Luke-1x12C

Luke-1x12C_BLWH-3.jpg?1319702842

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/Empty-Guitar-Cabinet-1x12-p/luke-1x12c_blwh.htm

The other is called Rocket Cab, and it is made from solid pine, and appears to be very well made. This one is a bit more, and it comes unfinished. So I would have to stain/tolex it, add a grill cloth and paint the speaker baffle flat black. This one had me intrigued, because it looks nicely constructed.

Rocket Cab Memphis

Memphis-front-view__30343_zoom.jpg

Dovetail-detail__85423_zoom.jpg

2-piece-convertible-back-pa__25542_zoom.

http://www.soundsriteaudio.com/rocket-cab-memphis-1x12-solid-pine-convertible-open-or-closed-back-build-your-cabinet/

I was hoping any of you could tell me a bit about these, and which would be the most versatile for a wide variety of rock and modern country. Thanks!

Cole

• Members
I can't see any mention of a 1x12 cab, and when I checked the dealer sites, I wasn't able to find one either... Do you have a link to where they would sell just a 1x12 cab?

Cole

look on the Bambino head page and there is a link to a pic of it. You'll probably have to email Anthony for the price.

• Members

Try to find an Epi Valve Jr cab and get rid of the Lady Luck speaker cause it's crap. The cabs are cheap but made well and you can put whatever speaker you like in it. Or if you would rather have a new cab, Egnater makes a nice 1x12 with a Celestion G12H30 that are reasonably priced and sound great.

• Members
Try to find an Epi Valve Jr cab and get rid of the Lady Luck speaker cause it's crap. The cabs are cheap but made well and you can put whatever speaker you like in it. Or if you would rather have a new cab, Egnater makes a nice 1x12 with a Celestion G12H30 that are reasonably priced and sound great.

I like the Lady Luck speaker. Very robust. I will say it sounds punchier after closing the back of the cab.

• Members

I am just needing an empty cab, I have some speakers to mess around with. I have a Reaper HP that needs to go into something!

As far as the Lady Luck speaker, I have heard numerous good things about it... I am very surprised to hear otherwise...

I will also add that I want a closed back design... While looking for information on the Reason cab, I came across J Designs cabs... These seem to be a very good price, and the pictures and information on them seem pretty good! From what I have read, the owner of J Designs is the brother of the guy who makes Fargen amps. Does anyone have any experience with J Design?

Cole

• Members
I am just needing an empty cab, I have some speakers to mess around with. I have a Reaper HP that needs to go into something!

As far as the Lady Luck speaker, I have heard numerous good things about it... I am very surprised to hear otherwise...

I will also add that I want a closed back design... While looking for information on the Reason cab, I came across J Designs cabs... These seem to be a very good price, and the pictures and information on them seem pretty good! From what I have read, the owner of J Designs is the brother of the guy who makes Fargen amps. Does anyone have any experience with J Design?

Cole

nice cabs. I didn't realize they were still in business.

• Members

nice cabs. I didn't realize they were still in business.

The prices seem very good for the construction and quality... They have some real good looking cabs! I hope that they aren't out of business... I think I could be very interested in one of their Vintage cabs...

Cole

• Members

I have one and really dig it.

That guy is pretty small! I can't believe how big it is... I think I like the size of the 12S a bit better though. I still want to be able to have a bit of chunkiness without needing more speakers and a huge cab... This is the reason I was interested in the Avatar Vintage, J Design Vintage and the others posted above.

Does it get pretty chunky, if you need it to be? Also, is there an aftermarket Eminence that is similar to their "custom" Eminence speaker?

Cole

• Members

That guy is pretty small! I can't believe how big it is... I think I like the size of the 12S a bit better though. I still want to be able to have a bit of chunkiness without needing more speakers and a huge cab... This is the reason I was interested in the Avatar Vintage, J Design Vintage and the others posted above.

Does it get pretty chunky, if you need it to be? Also, is there an aftermarket Eminence that is similar to their "custom" Eminence speaker?

Cole

It sounds pretty big for what it is. I use it for recording mainly and it sounds great mic'd.

Archived