Should I get my masters?

Lucius

• Members

I hope those forum visitors have no knowledge of the JD market, or else they will just feel sorry for you, more than anything...

depends on the forum, but for the most part the "prestige" of having the JD will be cool.....but of course on the practical side I'm not at all looking to take on 6 figure debt to get it. The only way I'm going for a JD is with lots of scholarships

• Members

I think you should do it. If it's not at all a financial issue, then go for it. I'm considering getting a masters as well. If you're at all like me then it won't necessarily be about eventually getting more money, but rather just a sense of accomplishment. I'm going to graduate college at the end of this year, but quite honestly I probably won't make anymore money because I have that degree. It just feels good to know that I did it.

• Members

The risk is the opportunity cost you need to recoop later. No raise = not recooping unless you land a REALLY sweet job shortly after.

I just want you to understad this because it is important.

Tuition for 3 years + 3 years salary = a big number. This number is the actual cost of the degree, not including the substancially reduced retirement fund.

For the love of God, consider keeping your job and take one class at a time. It will be the challenge that you want, you will feel good about getting further educated, and it will be beneficial on resumes in the mean time.

The only thing that might sway me is if you can get a stipend for assistantship.

RN is quite right about the opportunity costs of getting a Masters full time. You not only won't be drawing any salary, you won't be getting raises and promotions for 3 years. There is no way you can make this up unless you win the lottery!

Will your company and your boss(s) be around when you graduate to honor the agreement to take you back?

A teaching or research assistantship generally provides enough money for a single student to live in tiny apartment, drive a beater and live on Top Raman. That's a half-time TA or RA. Lots of places these days assistantships are 1/4 time, and they may not be available for first year grad students.

Do you have kids? If so, you should be socking it away for their education, because when they are ready to go to school, the sticker shock will be enormous, believe me!

I think people should go for advanced degrees if they have a strong desire to in practice some field that requires one, but doing it just for prestige isn't a good reason (imho). And the economics argue against doing it to make more money.

• Members

I tried out for a higher end project mgt position. The job pre-req was a master's deg.

If you want to explore higher side mgt opportunities get the masters. If not, don't sweat over it.

Some company benefit plans are tiered on experience and education. Teachers usually get them since the union pay is higher for master's level teachers. I know K teachers with masters that make 70k /yr and another 40k in benefits. One has applied for principal position which is about 105k to start she said. :idk:

Archived