Info for putting a floyd rose in a les paul

ZepfanIV

• Members

Hey everyone. I was wondering if I could get some help on how I could install a floyd rose in my epiphone les paul custom. I need info on routing it and how to put the locking nut on the neck; do i need to buy a new one?

• Members

k well i asked a bunch of ppl who said it was a good idea.

Don't go off of someone else's opinion of anything. Think for yourself. Its the number one character in all good musicians. Individuality.

If you honestly think you want a floyd rose on your Les Paul, do it. But I guarantee if you even can pull it off. You'll probably ruin the guitar in the process.

Floyd Rose aren't all they're made out to be, They just cause more work for yourself in my opinion.

But go with what you want, I'm just throwing in my two cents.

• Members

unless you could find one of those super rare floyd roses that mount onto existing bridge posts, I wouldn't do it. Even if you did manage to find one (you won't) you would then have to permenantly mange your guitars neck. I wouldn't even consider doing all the routing for a bridge cavity, you'll lose so much wood in the procedd that you're definitely going to affect the guitar's tone.

• Members

Just for what it's worth...Floyd Rose is a pain in the ass to do anything with...and from my experience it doesn't even stay in tune as good as a set f Sperzel Locking tuners...I just built a plate to block mine off on the F200 in my sig...but thats just my .02. Good luck with whatever you end up doing :)

• Members

Just for what it's worth...Floyd Rose is a pain in the ass to do anything with...and from my experience it doesn't even stay in tune as good as a set f Sperzel Locking tuners...I just built a plate to block mine off on the F200 in my sig...but thats just my .02. Good luck with whatever you end up doing
:)

A good quality double-locking trem is a breeze to deal with if you actually understand how it works and know how to set it up.

• Members

I see your new here. I think putting a Floyd Rose if you can pull it off is a good idea

Most people around here take that as herecy. They want their Teles to be single coiled vintage. They want there Strats SSS, they want their LPs to have Tuno Matic bridges.... don't worry, it happens a lot.

• Members

I see your new here. I think putting a Floyd Rose if you can pull it off is a good idea

Most people around here take that as herecy. They want their Teles to be single coiled vintage. They want there Strats SSS, they want their LPs to have Tuno Matic bridges.... don't worry, it happens a lot.

Yeh. Put a Flod on a Les Paul, play it through a Pod, direct to PA and see what happens to you on HCGF!

:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I have two Gibson Les Pauls with real Floyd Roses on them. I love them and I haven't had a single problem with the Floyds (or anything else) at all. It cost me $300 to install each, but it was totally worth it. It stays in tune excellently (better than the locking Sperzels I had on them previously). I had a Kahler on one of them, but the high E string kept breaking and it just wouldn't stay in tune. The vibrato action was a little to bouncy for me, too. The Floyd's extra stiffness it more preferable in my eyes. I'll post pics if you're interested. If you want to do it, it totally can be done, and don't worry about "loosing tone," when you plug it in, you're not going to be disappointed.

Also, there was a model in the mid 80's called Les Paul Custom Lite. They had the option of having a Floyd Rose installed at the factory. Great guitars, and they were thinner, lighter and had a rear body contour. You can occasionally find one on Ebay. We might be able to get a hold of one at my store, if you're interested.

In any case, good luck with the Floyd/Les Paul venture!

• Members

If this is your first time modding a guitar, I would suggest that you have a pro do it for you as it is an advanced job on a carved top. It will change the guitars tone, but you may like it.

I used to have a Heritage that had a Kahler Spyder onit (Floyd like trem) I loved it.

• Members

ever thought of a bigsby trem? my lp standard has one. they have trem models specifically for carved top bodies.

Photo3_e38b0.jpg

ya but the man wants to dive bomb and crap am i right. ive searched all over the state of new mexico to find someone to do it but i only found one guy. i say do it anyway.:thu:

Archived