Bad power transformer in Fender HRD?

Deadbeat Son

• Members

I picked up a "Level 4" customer return Hot Rod Deluxe III from Musician's Friend hoping the issue would simply be a bad tube or blown fuse.

Unfortunately, neither of those seem to be the issue with this amp. The power light doesn't turn on, and the tube heaters don't light up either. I think I have the problem tracked down to the power transformer. I show good voltage going into the trans, but I measure 0v coming out of it.

What can cause a faulty transformer? If I buy a new one and install it, what are the chances the new one also blows due to downstream issues? Are bad power transformers even common? It seems like they should be rather robust.

Thanks for the help!

• Members

Is the pilot on the secondary?

Please excuse my ignorance, as I'm not much of a tech, but I'll try to answer to the best of my ability. Also, I couldn't find a schematic for the series III, so I'm going solely off of the power of observation.

I assume what I am referring to as the "power light" is what you are calling the "pilot." I believe it is powered off of one of the two sets of secondaries. I measured zero voltage coming from the secondaries as well.

Also of note, my cheap-o DMM is acting a bit wonky, so I'm going to borrow a friend's Fluke today and verify all of my previous measurements.

• Members

I had the PT go out on my Laney LC15 and replaced without fixing anything else. The whole story is a bit longer.

First it had a blown fuse. In my normal bull in a china shop manner of fixing things I put tin foil on the fuse. Then the PS smoked... literally. However a new fuse and PT and nothing else suggested to me that the PS was already bad and blowing the fuse. The tin foil just allowed me to melt it further.

• Members

Yes. Turned out to be the fuse on the pcb subassembly the 6L6s are attached to. I thought I verified the fuse with a DMM, but I must have touched my lead to an incorrect solder joint on the back of the board. I installed a new fuse, and the amp fired right up with no issues.

The HRD isnt my favorite amp, but at $282 plus a $1 fuse, it's worth it! :thu:

Archived