I want to build a tube spring reverb

Sombrero

• Members

Awhile ago I had a Premier 90 spring reverb. Premier was an amp company in the 60s; I guess they were the amps for people who couldn't afford Fender. This thing was the coolest sounding reverb ever. Really dense and cave-like. I also had the much more expensive Tube Works reverb, and have used several amp spring reverbs and the Fender outboard reverb. So I have sampled many of these, and my opinion is pretty informed.

I got rid of the Premier because of the hum and the occasional electric shocks it would give me. As much as I love spring reverb, I don't think I'm ready to die for it. Also, at the time I wanted to have a stereo rig in a rack (thus the Tube Works).

So I want to build one of these into a rack case. Here's the schematic:

schematicheaven.com/effects/premier_90_reverbunit.pdf

Is it possible to alter this circuit to make the power cord grounded? Any other updates you guys would suggest to make this thing not hum?

• Members

Is it possible to alter this circuit to make the power cord grounded?

Easy. Just connect the power cord ground to the unit's main ground point. That is, assuming the unit itself is grounded properly. If it's not, then I can't see the ground plug making things any worse, although I can't guarantee that either.

• Members

double check the ground isn't floating, and adding a filter (corcom or equivalent) on the input Apexjr.com has fused switched filters for ~$6. Bag the tank and shock mount very well... these things are always noisy.

or buy a Alesis picoverb 28bits of lush stereo reverb etc for ~$70 (I considered the former and am doing the latter)

• Members

Awhile ago I had a Premier 90 spring reverb. Premier was an amp company in the 60s; I guess they were the amps for people who couldn't afford Fender. This thing was the coolest sounding reverb ever. Really dense and cave-like. I also had the much more expensive Tube Works reverb, and have used several amp spring reverbs and the Fender outboard reverb. So I have sampled many of these, and my opinion is pretty informed.

I got rid of the Premier because of the hum and the occasional electric shocks it would give me. As much as I love spring reverb, I don't think I'm ready to die for it. Also, at the time I wanted to have a stereo rig in a rack (thus the Tube Works).

So I want to build one of these into a rack case. Here's the schematic:

schematicheaven.com/effects/premier_90_reverbunit.pdf

Is it possible to alter this circuit to make the power cord grounded? Any other updates you guys would suggest to make this thing not hum?

The grounding is exactly as the other two poseters pointed out.

I just printed this schematic for myself. This looks like a fairly inexpensive and simple alternative to the Fender Stand alone.

I have a load of NOS 6AQ5A tubes and the 7 pin sockets that they require, but if that is a problem, you can substitute an 8 Pin Octal socket wired for a 6V6 (or 6K6) tubes with no other component alteration because the 6AQ5 and 6V6 are the same specs.

You can also sub any of the 12**7 family of tubes (9A Pinput) for the 6EU7 which is just a 6 volt 7025. As long as you wire the heaters for 12V which is simple enough..

I think I'll build one of these myself in a few weeks just for grins. I hace heard a few of these Primeres over the years and they're not too bad sounding as I recall.

EDIT:

After looking at the schematic there are a couple more things I noticed. Besides the updated grounding, it needs a fuse inserted ahead of the on/off switch.

I would not put the pilot light where it is on the schematic. Life would be simpler if you just use a Fender style pilot light where you are sure about the bulbs etc.

If anyone else decides to build one of these Primere Reverbs, please post some pics..

Good Luck....

• Members

or buy a Alesis picoverb 28bits of lush stereo reverb etc for ~$70 (I considered the former and am doing the latter)

Yeah, I was thinking about getting a nice cello, but I think I'll just get a sample library - I mean, it's pretty much the same, right?

:thu: Just busting your balls, man. To me, spring reverb is a totally different thing than digital reverb. Both can be useful, but the Premier completely alters the sound of what you put into it. If you want a pristine sound, digital is great. If you want to sound like your instrument is made of rusty metal and you are playing inside a giant steel cave, the Premier is what you want. I'm more into the latter, but that sound is not for everybody.

• Members

sound like your instrument is made of rusty metal and you are playing inside a giant steel cave, the Premier is what you want.

Noted: I will look into it when I want that.

A metasonix scrotum smasher can do this too....;)

• Members

Hmm. Funny you should say that, because I have always been really disappointed with all the Metasonix stuff. It sounds really cool on paper, but the sounds it makes are just awful, and not in any good way. All just my opinion of course; lots of people seem to like them. Even though this Premier unit is the opposite of pristine digital sound, and so is Metasonix gear, somehow the Premier and Metasonix are each other's opposites as well... Some sort of triangular continuum in which three things all negate each other simultaneously.

Anyway, Premier reverb sounds like Ennio Morricone, whereas Metasonix sounds like this guy making what he calls "way rad noise" in his basement.

To me.

• Members

Hmm. Funny you should say that, because I have always been really disappointed with all the Metasonix stuff. It sounds really cool on paper, but the sounds it makes are just awful, and not in any good way. All just my opinion of course; lots of people seem to like them. Even though this Premier unit is the opposite of pristine digital sound, and so is Metasonix gear, somehow the Premier and Metasonix are each other's opposites as well... Some sort of triangular continuum in which three things all negate each other simultaneously.

Anyway, Premier reverb sounds like Ennio Morricone, whereas Metasonix sounds like
making what he calls "way rad noise" in his basement.

To me.

Digital reverb sounds like digital reverb and analog (tube & spring) reverb sounds like Analog. The digital has it's place especially in a studio, but it just doesn't have the "MoJo" of good old fashioned analog reverb.

My opinion of course.... your milage may vary...

• Members

I totally agree. I will say, though, that the spring reverb emulation in Native Instruments' B4 is very cool. It goes beyond the "drip" sound and emulates the metallic resonance. And you can change the size of the spring continuously, something no real spring reverb could do.

One modification I might do when I start working on this reverb is to have 2 different spring tanks switchable - one short and one long. This would give it more versatility and control than a normal spring reverb has. Having had short tank reverb (Premier) and long tank reverb (Tube Works) I think they are pretty different and both very useful for different sounds.

Archived