Frankentar: The Hoverbucker

Carpespasm

• Members
:thu:
I approve of this madness.

A big +1 to that! I love experimenting around with this kinda thing. Thanks to the internet, I learned that an idea I'd had for many years for a multi-capacitor tone switch had already been done before. Damn you, internet!

Oh well. I have other ideas brewing.

Carpespasm, keep up the tinkering! the worst that can happen is you produce some gawd-awful sounds or shock yourself (ground the bridge to avoid that, so I'm told). I sure don't think you're violating any guitarist laws by modifying your guitar. The only time I'd object would be if it was a rare guitar.

• Members

well, it turns out my buddy also hauled off with my camcorder when he left town, I'll get some clips up ASAP. In the mean time I've made a post for some cigar box guitars I did as well in the DIY section, which does have a link to video of one of those being played.

• Members

Did you reverse the polarity of the Magnets? I was thinking if they're north pole towards north pole, they might make the set nearly inaudible. If they're north to south, they should increase the strength of both pickups. (That's my guess anyway.)

I don't expect much out of the pre-bridge pickup.You never know, there might be something worthwhile there.

• Members

Hey all, this is the guitar playing buddy here. lol.

All in all, the hoverbucker performs well. The killswitch allows for some good buckethead/tom morello effects, and the third bridge lets you indulge in some sonic youth-ery.

The coolest effect is when you're strumming a chord that triggers some sympathetic overtones through the third bridge. It creates a nice "pitched reverb" that you can switch off anytime it doesn't suit you. I noticed a bit of a chorusy effect (think very extreme wobbly settings with a low mix) by the third bridge. Normal pickups sound nice and thick (due to the neck area position) but the tone control brightens the sound up considerably for normal chording and power chords.

With the pickups out of phase, you get your average s/c clean tone, but with them in phase, you get a nice, thicker sound not unlike a p-90. Somewhere between a humbucker and a single coil, best of both worlds.

it's a temperamental beast, but should make for a fun studio guitar (those subtle third bridge effects should make for a head-scratcher for the listener) and a head-turning live guitar.

Hope this was informative, feel free to ask more questions, and we'll work on getting a sound clip for ya.

-Daniel

• Members

My favorite part of the vids was when he played all pickups together Clean; nice chorus-y type sound. I could tell something different was going on there.

Never stop tinkering!

Oh yeah! I'd apply for a patent if I was you, and if I could afford it. It ain't free.

MOST patents never get used or make their owners any money.

Just a thought.

• Members

Very interesting stuff! I noticed some odd sounds resonating when you were playing using just the pickup between the bridge and tailpiece. I've been having some fun ideas of my own lately and you gave me a few additional ones.

As has already been said, don't stop tinkering!

Archived