NOSD! Carl Martin content....

colejustesen

• Members

So I posted last night that I was given a TC Electronic Nova Delay by one of college professors. Well today my professor surprised me again by giving me a Carl Martin Octaswitch! I was telling him about a year or so ago that I wanted to get a midi type pedal so that way I could use my pedals in a preset fashion. Well he remembered the conversation and brought in this for me to have. I was blown away once again by his generosity! Seriously he has to be the coolest professor ever!

20120206_210836.jpg

I can't wait to rig this bad boy up on my pedal board!!!

Cole

• Members

He just gave it to you???

I'm sooooo jelly
:(

He had other devices to use for setting loops on his pedal board and didn't enjoy this pedal's interface, or it didn't work for him. I have given some pedals in return, because honestly I felt that I needed to. I have given him a Korg Pitchblack, Tonerider British Distortion, Tonerider American Overdrive, MXR MC-401 and a Danelectro Cool Cat OD ver. 1. So, while he did give it to me, he didn't ask anything for them. I was compelled to give him something, and he loves all of them! However the 5 pedals I have given him don't even equate to the value of what these two pedals he gave would cost.

He has some custom cables that he made specifically for this unit and will be bringing them to me :thu:

Seriously, this guy is unreal!!!

Cole

• Members

Nah, he is just a nice guy! He loves to play guitar, and thoroughly enjoys any chance he can get to talk about it...

Cole

I love hanging around folks like that. When you get to talk to someone who loves talking about gear and actually knows what he's talking about, not just regurgitating uninformed internet blabber, it's refreshing to say the least.

• Members

Show us on the doll, where he touched you, Cole
:o

raganp.jpg

:lol:

Super jealous because ive wanted a looper for a while now...just ordered one yesterday actually. The CM doesn't use Midi though right, it's just a looper?

Oh, and you gonna get raped....just saw the price on these.

• Members

I love hanging around folks like that. When you get to talk to someone who loves talking about gear and actually knows what he's talking about, not just regurgitating uninformed internet blabber, it's refreshing to say the least.

Sounds like my friends and I, even after a 3 hour drive at 3:30am last sunday my guitar player and I were talking about how we can make our FOH sound better. We want a studio live 16.4 and iso cabs :lol:... Also to not thread jack, OP your prof sounds like a genuinely good dude.

• Members

Show us on the doll, where he touched you, Cole
:o

raganp.jpg

haha... that is funny!

The looper is a true bypass unit and non midi. You just plug your pedals into the input and output for each channel, and then select which channels are active using dip switches for each individual button.

It really is cool!

You guys made some funny posts!!!

Cole

• Members

Sounds like my friends and I, even after a 3 hour drive at 3:30am last sunday my guitar player and I were talking about how we can make our FOH sound better. We want a studio live 16.4 and iso cabs
:lol:
... Also to not thread jack, OP your prof sounds like a genuinely good dude.

I can honestly say that I only have one friend that I can do that with. Too bad he's in Perth :(

• Members

haha... that is funny!

The looper is a true bypass unit and non midi. You just plug your pedals into the input and output for each channel, and then select which channels are active using dip switches for each individual button.

It really is cool!

You guys made some funny posts!!!

Cole

Get back with a followup after you've had a chance to use it. I've been somewhat interested in that unit for awhile and I'd like to hear what you think about it.

• Members

UPDATE: So I got to hook it up today and play around with it. I can sum it by saying this is awesome! If anyone is interested in buying one, it is super effective! I am not sure that I like the built in buffer or not yet, but the convenience of creating presets from your pedals is cool. I do have to say that it is important to make sure that if you do use this switcher to make sure and get a isolated power source, as it is prone to ground hum. Using the 1Spot this was evident, with my T-Rex Chameleon power supply it disappeared.

It is also a bit on the large side, so plan on getting a bigger pedal board if you are using something similar in size as the Pedaltrain PT-2. It doesn't suck tone, it doesn't make loud popping noises (when properly powered) when switching channels and their is no delay when switching the channels. I do think that I would prefer the new mkII version, but I can't complain!

To add to the coolness factor, he also gave me an Xotic BB Preamp and a Keeley modified DS-1 :thu:

Cole

• Members

UPDATE: So I got to hook it up today and play around with it. I can sum it by saying this is awesome! If anyone is interested in buying one, it is super effective! I am not sure that I like the built in buffer or not yet, but the convenience of creating presets from your pedals is cool. I do have to say that it is important to make sure that if you do use this switcher to make sure and get a isolated power source, as it is prone to ground hum. Using the 1Spot this was evident, with my T-Rex Chameleon power supply it disappeared.

It is also a bit on the large side, so plan on getting a bigger pedal board if you are using something similar in size as the Pedaltrain PT-2. It doesn't suck tone, it doesn't make loud popping noises (when properly powered) when switching channels and their is no delay when switching the channels. I do think that I would prefer the new mkII version, but I can't complain!

To add to the coolness factor, he also gave me an Xotic BB Preamp and a Keeley modified DS-1
:thu:

Cole

Nice, I just got a looper myself, but I don't have enough damn cables to hook it up the way I want....and I didn't realize patch cables were so expensive.

• Members

Nice, I just got a looper myself, but I don't have enough damn cables to hook it up the way I want....and I didn't realize patch cables were so expensive.

No joke there! I was fortunate to be given some cables by my prof so that I could use it! I was looking at the kits like the Bill Lawrence Wilde one or the Lava Cable Solder Free version. The Wilde one is around $78 for 50' and 10 plugs, the Lava Cable is more expensive with 10' and 10 plugs at $114. The Wilde one looks promising, plus it has low capacitance to let the high frequencies through!

Cole

Archived