New Cabinet Suggestion - 2 amp rig. Double Stack.

Mikoo69

• Members

Finally bought an Orange AD30 to run with my original 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb. I run them both on at the same time and it's the tone I've always been looking for. The DR goes through a HiWatt 4x12 with Celestion Blue Speakers and gives me amazing upper mids and highs. Currently I am borrowing an Orange 2x12 from a friend which sits under the Hiwatt 4x12 and gives me great lows, low mids and body. Together the amps are magical and destroy with fuzz pedals/overdrives, etc! Full range of frequencies, and really complimentary tones.

I have to give my friend back his 2x12 so I am looking at cabinet options.

First option is another 2x12, since I know it sounds good. However, I can find a local Orange 4x12 for the same price as a 2x12, so I am tempted to go 4x12 if I stick with the orange Cabinets.

Second option is another Hiwatt 4x12 to match so it would be a matching double stack. I definitely like the look of this the best, but I wonder how the Hiwatt cabinet will sound with the Orange and if it will give me the low end I want. Banana's At Large has one at a good price. ANy experience buying from them, and with this cab in particular? http://www.bananasmusic.com/productdetail.asp/pid_19423/productname_HiWatt-Hi-Gain-4x12-Cabinet

Third option, there is a HiWatt 4x12 locally with Purple Fane speakers (not an original from the 70s or anything, but a reissue cabinet). I could possibly get this for $1200-$1300. A lot more than I wanted to spend, but in the spirit of having no regrets with guitar tone, and not ever compromising, I would spend this cash if the purples were really worth it.

Fourth option - 1x15 or 2x15 cab. Not sure where I would get one that works for this rig, but wondering since the Orange is mostly used for more body, low end and low miss, if 15 inch speakers would be better.

Any advice would be great, as I can't try out all these options.

Thanks!

• Members

understandable.

i looked into the Hiwatts and $1200 for a purple fane loaded 4x12 is tempting, especially since that will give me 2 4x12s double stacked and just look gorgeous. Not sure how I feel about the look of the Hiwatt 4x12 on top of the Orange 4x12. While the Orange sounds great, I am not sure whether the hiwatt will sound even better? Anyone familiar with these purple fane loaded cabs? What are the characteristics of them compared to the V30s in the Orange?

This Reeve's 2x12 looks really cool too, as it would match the hi-watt and has a ported front, which might sound cool. Also comes with Purple Fanes.

http://www.reevesamps.com/guitarCabinets.htm

• Members

Yeah I totally understand wanting to have a matched set, I am the same way. But in the past, I was also at a point where I was really happy with my tone, decided to change something and lost that tone, so you once you are getting something you really like, you need to be careful. I think that maybe if you were running the cabs side by side, instead of stacked, it wouldn't look that weird. You'd have the Orange AD30 on top of an Orange 4x12 and the Fender on top of the Hiwatt, as 2 half-stacks. That would be cool.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with the Purple Fanes so I can't help you there. :(

Archived