Combo internal speakers not working?

Mr_GoodBomb

• Members

I picked up a used Peavey Deuce VT amp. It works with an external cabinet just fine, and the internal speakers are connected as if they were an external unit, with a 1/4 jack. However, they don't seem to work... there's no noise produced at all from them, but all the connections seem to be intact. Any ideas?

• Members

Which wire are you speaking of?

The speaker wires are accessible via the back (open back amp), and they all seem connected. Since it works with an external cabinet, I assume it's something with the speakers, but can't be certain. If I could scoot a head in close enough, I'd try to see if the speakers can be powered by another amp...

• Members

I don't see any benefit from trying another amp. If the amp works, it's either the speakers, or the speaker cable. Just because the cable looks good, and conections look right, the wire inside the cable could still be bad. Check the cable. If you don't have an ohm meter, a flashlight, battery, and some wires will let you check continuity of the cable. If the cable is good, speaker, or speakers are bad.

• Members

Take a 9-volt battery, and touch the ring of the plug to the minus and the tip to the plus.
The speaker should move inwards or outwards then. If it doesn't, there could be something wrong with the connections, or the speaker itself.

I'd just resolder the whole shebang first, and try again.

• Members

Take a 9-volt battery, and touch the ring of the plug to the minus and the tip to the plus.

The speaker should move inwards or outwards then. If it doesn't, there could be something wrong with the connections, or the speaker itself.

I'd just resolder the whole shebang first, and try again.

That's cool. I'll have to try that some time.

Not much point in doing it, in this case though. Same as hooking another amp up. Only thing it would possibly prove is the amp is bad, and we allready know, the amp is not bad, cuz it works with a diferent cable hooked up to a cab.

Don't know what ohms the speakers in the combo, and the speakers in the cab are, but was thinking...

Cut the cable at the speakers, unhook one of the speakers in the cab, and hook that up to one of the speakers in the combo.

• Members
That's cool. I'll have to try that some time.

Not much point in doing it, in this case though. Same as hooking another amp up. Only thing it would possibly prove is the amp is bad, and we allready know, the amp is not bad, cuz it works with a diferent cable hooked up to a cab.

Don't know what ohms the speakers in the combo, and the speakers in the cab are, but was thinking...

Cut the cable at the speakers, unhook one of the speakers in the cab, and hook that up to one of the speakers in the combo.

True, I just thought it's easier to get a battery than an amp head :D

Dunno if this is any help?

http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/deuce.pdf

• Members

You might have an open line from the OT to the main speaker out jack. With unit off and no speaker connected, insert a 1/4" phone plug and measure for low dc resistance tip to sleeve. If you get infinity you have an open. With speakers disconnected you can check those as well with an ohm meter. Infinite resistance measured = open speakers. If the speakers are good, verify the wiring to them is good.

Archived