Blackstar pedals

Warpsmasher

• Members

I figure this is the place to talk about 'em since it's also where I was turned on to AMT pedals. I'm thinking about picking up an HT-DistX, wondering how it does for Rectfier type sounds, or if there's a better one. I had an AMT California Sound that I liked for the one and only sound it had in it, but ditched it for a Wampler Triple Wreck, which has a lot more flexibility, but no cab out (a feature I really like since I just play at home into mixer/monitors). I have the AMT E1 and love it, and would definitely check out some more of their Legends pedals too. I checked out the new HT-Metal pedal, looks cool but seems like maybe it's just a DistX with another preset?

[video=youtube;oBifuYfNJLA]

I also had the Blackstar delay pedal for a little while, it sounded great, but I thought it was a little limited in sounds & modes for the price, so I dumped it for a Timefactor...

• Members

I used the ht-dual for a LONG time into a variety of tube maps set clean (basssman 4x10 reissue, vibrochamp xd, dsl401, ampeg sj12r and even my old line6 duoverb) with great results.

I liked that pedal just fine.

ALL of the "overdrive" in this clip (basically anything with ANY gain), including the rhythmic delays at the end are all ht-dual. (but not including the melody, that's not even me playing that. This was an HCFX jam we did way back)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=875443&songID=7459662

• Members

I had an HT-DistX for a while that I ran thru the clean channel on my XXX. It sounded good, but not as good as the crunch and ultra channels on the XXX so I got rid of it. Also, one of the pots became scratchy a few months after I purchased it which is not something I would expect on a newer piece of gear. Direct recording out was definitely meh.

• Members

I used the ht-dual for a LONG time into a variety of tube maps set clean (basssman 4x10 reissue, vibrochamp xd, dsl401, ampeg sj12r and even my old line6 duoverb) with great results.

I liked that pedal just fine.

ALL of the "overdrive" in this clip (basically anything with ANY gain), including the rhythmic delays at the end are all ht-dual. (but not including the melody, that's not even me playing that. This was an HCFX jam we did way back)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=875443&songID=7459662

Nice clip...but why is the genre "World: Traditional Irish"??? Look at my avatar...you can't fool me on this {censored} dude :)

• Members

Nice clip...but why is the genre "World: Traditional Irish"??? Look at my avatar...you can't fool me on this {censored} dude
:)

Because I don't give a {censored}

challenge.jpg

All the {censored} on my soundclick is under that "genre"

• Members
Nice clip...but why is the genre "World: Traditional Irish"??? Look at my avatar...you can't fool me on this {censored} dude
:)

where you born in Ireland? or are you like 4th or 5th generation like myself (not Irish)?

I always wonder because in Europe we don't follow these titles.

• Members

where you born in Ireland? or are you like 4th or 5th generation like myself (not Irish)?

I always wonder because in Europe we don't follow these titles.

4th gen...but also really into Irish trad music, so I just had to bust on him a little over the classification :)

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I have used my Blackstar HT-Dual full time gigging for the last 4 years. I wouldn't dream of using another pedal for crunch, and if you are into that creamy over the top distortion, you'll love it.

There were a couple of gigs when my amp died and I plugged straight into the HT-Dual and direct out to the board. I got through the gig with no problems.

I was so impressed by this pedal that I bought two more..one as a spare/home unit and one for my kid, who has since sold everything he could, amps, guitars, PodXT Live, but he still is holding onto his HT-Dual pedal! ;-)

One more thing - Blackstar has reputable and quality customer service. I had a problem and it was taken care of immediately.

Here is my concern:

After about a year the pots get scratchy and the knob covers have a tendency to have to be re-tightened or re-glued...no problem, BUT - on one unit the scratchiness is so bad that it is not allowing the pot to operate correctly.

Anybody have a suggestion about what type of contact cleaner to use so it will not get damaged, gooey or oily?

Inside the unit there is a 12AX7 tube that is being operated at a full 300 Volts as compared to many "tube" pedals that just run enough signal through the tube to "technically" say it is tube driven. Big difference here. There is nothing in the manual about replacing the tube, but I have read that you just remove the outside cover and carefully pop in a new one. After four years of playing full time, over 200 gigs per year, the tube is starting to appear weaker and I am going to change it tonight with a JJ Tesla. The tube it came with from the factory sounded and performed so well that I never once considered changing it, even out of curiosity, and changing to quality tubes can make all the difference in the world with these new small amps. Not needed here!

This pedal is much better and more versatile than the Boss OD series or Heavy Metal, beats the crap out of a Ibanez Tube Screamer, Big Muff, etc.

Inside the unit there are two or three 'layers' of circuit boards mounted in a sandwich fashion with small cables connecting them together.

I was so impressed with this pedal that I went out and bought the 5-watt amp head and absolutely love it. It is better than my old Vibro Champ, Vox AC4TV, Kustom Defender 5, Epiphone Valve Junior, and is much more versatile in tone. You should hear this suckuh' cranked through a 4x12 cab. It goes from pseudo-Marshall to Fender at the spin of a knob. (Same for the pedal, too.) The big-ass overdrive channel is outrageous with tone ready for recording or soloing into the outer reaches of the Ether.

I am not a salesman, but I am a happy camper. If you buy this pedal and hate it... I will buy it from you...or you can always return it and get your money back from a reputable online dealer.

These are made in England but they have USA reps in Los Angeles. I also think they are now affiliated with Korg...possibly their new parent company.

Despite any mild drawbacks this pedal might have, after four years of hard playing, if I were to lose it I would IMMEDIATELY go out and get another one without hesitation. I might even pay for overnight shipping! lol.

If you buy this pedal you will not return it. It measures 6.5 inches X 4.5 inches wide and sits 2.25 inches in height from the floor. Heavy-ass metal chassis and quality switches (jury is still out on the 'scratchy pots') and is a little 'weighty' compared to other pedals. I like that.

They call it "The English Muffin" and for all the right reasons.

Archived