This is why you shouldn't own 10+ amps

Tommy Horrible

• Members

{censored}....i forgot you had a QR. what year is yours ? Im dying to try a newer one that got the benefit of upgrades. My QR was an absolute dog. Not one person I played it in front of liked it. My QR was the mustard squirt......that first watery mess that comes out of the bottle before you get to the good stuff.

• Members

{censored}....i forgot you had a QR. what year is yours ? Im dying to try a newer one that got the benefit of upgrades. My QR was an absolute dog. Not one person I played it in front of liked it. My QR was the mustard squirt......that first watery mess that comes out of the bottle before you get to the good stuff.

That sounds like something was wrong with the amp, not an issue of the year. FWIW I have a late 2010 and it's fantastic.

• Members

Not sure on the year, I think 2008 or 2009. It's a 3 gear version, with the clean channel, solo boost and overdrive. This thing rocks, it has more low end, and it's actually tight and percussive, not loose and flabby than the 2 channel dual rec sitting on top of it. Lord Tone King has the exact same amp, and it and it sounds the exact same way. Such bad ass amps.

407182_382710365073617_100000039714672_1

• Members

That sounds like something was wrong with the amp, not an issue of the year. FWIW I have a late 2010 and it's fantastic.

It blew a grid resistor the first month I had it. Had it fixed but I never trusted it afterwards. Mine was a 2009. I think I just got off on the wrong foot with that amp and it never got better. In the end I ended up hating that amp with a fiery hot passion.

My 2008 Nitro is f'n devastating. If the volume taper was fixed Id call it a perfect machine.

• Members

I have a love/hate relationship with Splawns. Every time I hear someone playing it, I {censored}ing love it but I can't make them work for me
:idk:

It's funny how much your 'finger tone' comes through with different amps and dictates what sounds good coming out the speakers. For me, something about the Splawn voicing just perfectly clicks, but other amps that are super popular just sound like crap.

That's why I always say there really aren't bad amps, just amps that don't work for me.

Apart from the Crate Blue Voodoo. That's just bad.

• Members

It's funny how much your 'finger tone' comes through with different amps and dictates what sounds good coming out the speakers. For me, something about the Splawn voicing just perfectly clicks, but other amps that are super popular just sound like crap.

That's why I always say there really aren't bad amps, just amps that don't work for me.

I agree 100%. Including the Blue Voodoo part :lol:

• Members

I have a love/hate relationship with Splawns. Every time I hear someone playing it, I {censored}ing love it but I can't make them work for me
:idk:

What is it about them you don't like? There must be some wild variances in these amps, because the way I hear people describe the Quick Rod is never how I would describe it. I hear people say it's to bright, and mines the second darkest and smoothest amp I have next to my Marks, and I here people say it has no low end, and it's got the most low end of any amp I own.

• Members

What is it about them you don't like? There must be some wild variances in these amps, because the way I hear people describe the Quick Rod is never how I would describe it. I hear people say it's to bright, and mines the second darkest and smoothest amp I have next to my Marks, and I here people say it has no low end, and it's got the most low end of any amp I own.

I also find that odd. Gear two has a TON of lowend, it actually took me a while to get used to it, but it just comes out as thump not mud. I've heard people say the QR lacks bass and it confuses the hell out of me.

• Members

They that's so true, I play Les Pauls strung 52-10, and my best friend plays Tele's. I swear to god our tones almost sound the same because for some reason I just naturally always sound brighter and he always sounds darker. I have to play darker guitars to sound normal, and he sounds like mud through my Les Pauls.

• Members

Mine had no low end to my ears but I think the Nitro low end influenced the perception I had. I think the voicing did not fit my playing style and it may have had little to nothing to do with the product.

I dont want to come across as anti-Splawn. I just never came close to having the eargasms that others enjoy with a QR.

• Members

I also find that odd. Gear two has a TON of lowend, it actually took me a while to get used to it, but it just comes out as thump not mud. I've heard people say the QR lacks bass and it confuses the hell out of me.

I ran my treble at zero and bass at 2 oclock and just never found that low end. Was not a cab issue bc I used a Splawn cab with sb25s that is thunderous with my Nitro.

{censored}, maybe I was the dumbest person to ever own a QR. i need to take field trip to Akron so Tommy Horrible and Lord Tone King and hear this QR magic that I could not conjure.

• Members

I ran my treble at zero and bass at 2 oclock and just never found that low end. Was not a cab issue bc I used a Splawn cab with sb25s that is thunderous with my Nitro.

{censored}, maybe I was the dumbest person to ever own a QR. i need to take field trip to Akron so Tommy Horrible and Lord Tone King and hear this QR magic that I could not conjure.

You're not the first person I've heard say that, but Tommy's description exactly matches what I'm hearing from mine, so it diesn't seem to be an issue of the year. Maybe they just have Crappy QC or something :idk:

• Members

Mine had no low end to my ears but I think the Nitro low end influenced the perception I had. I think the voicing did not fit my playing style and it may have had little to nothing to do with the product.

I dont want to come across as anti-Splawn. I just never came close to having the eargasms that others enjoy with a QR.

Not everyone Jives with everything. {censored} happens. I thought it was to dark and dull sounding compared to my JVM which was my main amp at the time when I first tried it but that low end thump had me hooked and I had to get one. I ended up realizing through trial and error that I if I tried using the Quick Rod through the same cab and guitar as my JVM it just didn't sound good. I use a ceramic pickup(500T) and V30s with my JVM, and the Quick rod hates ceramic pick ups and V30s. IMO the Quickrod sounds great with Alinico II pick ups like the 57 classic, and eminence speakers, it doesn't seem to get along with Celestions.

Some pick ups and speakers just don't jive with everthing, like the 500T sounds great with Marshall's, it fits their character and response perfectly, but sounds just plain bad with my Mark III.

• Members

Do it, I want to play your Nitro.

Archived