Getting used to the Axe II - 5150 model heaviness

Nolly

• Members

Hey dudes,

I had a chance to mess around with my Axe II some more today, I'm definitely starting to get used to which parameters to tweak. After an initially underwhelming first few tries with the Axe II I have to say I'm now completely won over. The differences between the II and the Ultra are only becoming more and more apparent.

The guitar used is my ViK Duality 7, the bass is a McIntyre custom 5-string through a Chandler Germanium DI/pre, drums are a combination of Toontrack's Metal Machine, Evil Drums, Music City, Slate 4 and some additional samples of my own.

http://soundcloud.com/nolly/heavy

Cheers!

• Members

Cheers dudes!

Nixer - I think one of the really noticeable improvements was messing with the "SPKR" tab on the amp block - fiddling with the frequencies and amounts of boost applied did a lot to tame boominess and get the top end to sound "right". The "DYN" section also seems to do a lot, I'm running the dynamics parameter pretty high and that seems to get the low end response to be realistically bouncy. Overall I'm really impressed with the latest firmware update, I feel like they've finally managed to get the response truly realistic.

• Members

Cheers dudes!

Nixer - I think one of the really noticeable improvements was messing with the "SPKR" tab on the amp block - fiddling with the frequencies and amounts of boost applied did a lot to tame boominess and get the top end to sound "right". The "DYN" section also seems to do a lot, I'm running the dynamics parameter pretty high and that seems to get the low end response to be realistically bouncy. Overall I'm really impressed with the latest firmware update, I feel like they've finally managed to get the response truly realistic.

Thanks for the reply Nolly. Unfortuantely I have a lowly Ultra and wondered if you had tips for that since I know you are a master at dialing them in given the tones on TRSF EP.

• Members

Thanks! Hmm, I always use a graphic or parametric EQ (sometimes both) on the Ultra to dial out some of the cloudy midrange and boost the upper mids and treble for a more realistic top end. Usually I'll put the graphic in between the amp and cab, whereas the parametric would go last in the chain before any effects. I find the response to be better with the master volume on the amp block turned up past midday, and often run the sag parameter fairly high up too. Finally I use multiple cabs on the Ultra - usually 3. One will be on its own, then there will be a stereo cab block running in parallel with that, but with the two cabs panned centrally so that all three are in the middle. Blending together the characteristics of multiple cabs seems to help make it less recognisable as a modeller for whatever reason.

• Members

Thanks! Hmm, I always use a graphic or parametric EQ (sometimes both) on the Ultra to dial out some of the cloudy midrange and boost the upper mids and treble for a more realistic top end. Usually I'll put the graphic in between the amp and cab, whereas the parametric would go last in the chain before any effects. I find the response to be better with the master volume on the amp block turned up past midday, and often run the sag parameter fairly high up too. Finally I use multiple cabs on the Ultra - usually 3. One will be on its own, then there will be a stereo cab block running in parallel with that, but with the two cabs panned centrally so that all three are in the middle. Blending together the characteristics of multiple cabs seems to help make it less recognisable as a modeller for whatever reason.

I will mess with these settings. Thank you Nolly!

Archived