NAD! SS content

gsxrbusa

• Members

If your current cab is 16 ohms, it's probably either (4) 16 ohms speakers wired series parallel for a total 16 ohm load (most likely)

or (4) 4 ohm speakers wired all series for a 16 ohm total load.

either way, you can easily re-wire it for a 4 ohm total load.

- if (4) 16 ohm speakers, wire all parallel

- if (4) 4 ohm speakers, wire series-parallel

• Members
If your current cab is 16 ohms, it's probably either (4) 16 ohms speakers wired series parallel for a total 16 ohm load (most likely)

:idea: I did not even think of that. Thanks for the tip sir. :thu:

• Members
One huge trait I noticed instantly is the lack of feel or articulation. I really have to change the way I play which may not be a good thing. I could go on and on about the differences but I won't. It's not fair comparing a 3k amp to a $300 amp.

I hear you. SS amps are a totally different beast.
Even when you have a tube amp with a huge clean power section (VHT, anyone?), there's still a dynamic response there that I haven't felt in a SS amp. Not that I haven't played some badass SS amps, but if you're expecting that "give" that you get when you really pound your guitar in front of a tube amp, good luck.

That's the reason that the first time I played my VS-8200 after getting a tube amp was also the last.

I loved my RG100es, and I'm still GAS'ing a little bit for a GX130c or VH140c, but I'm not going to ever expect them to replace my VHTs/Mesas.

So...Happy NAD...I guess. :idk:
:lol:

• Members

Best opening line of a NAD post, ever.

I hear you. SS amps are a totally different beast.

Even when you have a tube amp with a huge clean power section (VHT, anyone?), there's still a dynamic response there that I haven't felt in a SS amp. Not that I haven't played some badass SS amps, but if you're expecting that "give" that you get when you really pound your guitar in front of a tube amp, good luck.

That's the reason that the first time I played my VS-8200 after getting a tube amp was also the last.

I loved my RG100es, and I'm still GAS'ing a little bit for a GX130c or VH140c, but I'm not going to ever expect them to replace my VHTs/Mesas.

So...Happy NAD...I guess.
:idk:

:lol: I guess I am just an amp snob at this point. Will the Mode4 work for practice? Sure, but it will never replace or be equal to my tube amps. Makes me feel better that someone understands the "feel" thing as I do. Tone is one thing but the feel is completely different.

Thanks for the HNAD sir! :)

• Members
I picked up a 5150 for $350 and it sounds pretty damn good

Damn good deal you got there. My problem is that if I picked up a 5150 it would be headed straight for numerous mods. :lol: Not that it's a bad thing but I would be spending more cash on it for sure.

This place has permanently {censored}ed me up. :mad:

• Members

Makes me feel better that someone understands the "feel" thing as I do. Tone is one thing but the feel is completely different.

No, man...I get you 100%.

That's the thing, IMO, that modelers, VSTs, and SS amps haven't yet managed to replicate - that hard-to-quantify punchiness and thump that a tube amp has when you're pushing a decent speaker cab. The tones can be great - but the response of the guitar/amp/speaker system to the player is completely different, even in a high-end modeler like the Axe.

Granted, I haven't spent a tone of time with the Axe (but I actually have used one, unlike most bashers), and the tone was killer...but it had the same flat feel that all of the modelers I've used have had.

When a modeler can really replicate that feel, then I'll switch over. Until then, I'll stick with my 100-year-old tech.

• Members

yeah but careful with that because if I'm not mistaken the Mode 4 requires a 8ohm minimum load. Check the manual, it's available for dl at the Marshall website.

Archived