Also, forgot how much I actually dig an emg85 in the bridge position

Dolf

• Members

Did some TLC on the guitars today (found the cold solder joint in my LP, restrung the 3 guitars, did some other troubleshooting and swapped the quick connect 81/85 in the vertigo because i loathe the 81 in almost any application) and was pleasantly surprised at how generally awesome the vertigo sounds now.

I've always thought the 85 was too fat for the neck and that the 81 is "too metal" in the bridge on any guitar (which is why it always surprises me that that is the "standard"), but given my propensity toward low-ish output pickups in general, I'm surprised that I still like the 85 in the bridge.

Granted, I still find it waaaay higher gain than I'd like, but at least it sounds chunky and articulate and good. Might not be a bad idea to have a guitar laying around for those sounds anyway, even if they're not my go-to.

So, I've got that going for me :thu:

• Members

I just put in an 85 in the bridge and swapped the 60 out putting the 81 in the neck. The 85 sounds good. Still a bit too high output. I plan on putting some Dimarzio SD's in the EC1000. I wanted to try the 85 first while I still had the guitar set up for actives. Plug and play. I like that with these EMG pup changes.

Don't like the 81 in the neck slot. Sounds like a stuck "half cocked" wah.LOL

• Members

I like it a lot as well. It sounds really good, but I always felt it was sort of a neutral base. It sounds good, but it doesnt stand out as extra awesome either.

I dont like them at 18V though. They have to be at 9V.

• Members

Never tried an 85. I used 81's in the bridge forever until I switched to passives. I might have to go back to EMG's in at least 1 guitar so I can try the 85.

I don't think its a significant change for the better. I like it but I'm not blown away because its in the bridge. It is crunchier in a heavy way but the highs are brighter/mids thinner. The 81 is more mid emphasized and flatter in comparison. Think I like soloing better on the 81 and the 85 has this cool big saturated crunch that's fun with power chords but a lil' thin/hairy while soloing.

I like passives better but I'm not a modern high gain player either. One thing for sure is the 81 in the neck is significantly worse then the 60 in the neck.

Archived