best 1x12 for metal?

stonem66

• Members

which combo are you referring to? from what I understand the 50/12 isn't really high gain. I love vht and would love to have a clx in 112 configuration but they dont make em.

Pittbull 45. Like I said, I do not see them often, but I have seen them sell for 550 to 700 and from clips, it seems like you can definitely do metal. Especially if you boost it.

• Members

Ooh. I hadn't ever looked at the XXX combos before. They're sure available for cheap-cheap on the used market. They sound just as good and thrashy as the heads? If so that may be on my list to try out.

I hate amp gas.

The XXX 60 is the same exactly. The super 40 is weird. First of all the schematic on the peavey official site is kind of wrong, so is the manual where it states 3 12ax7 with one being the PI of course whereas the bigger brothers have 4. You'd expect it to be kind of lowish gain but this little amp has more than necessary gain, almost unuseable. Anyway, I eventually ended up with the super 40 for small gigs instead of its bigger brothers and it has 4 preamp tubes and while I haven't figured it out yet it seems to share the preamp on the ultra channel. It's bigger difference is the crunch/clean shared controls which are passive instead of active. I love this feature, because the passive tonestack on the crunch gives it a black sabbathy old school smoother vibe which is different from the bigger brothers. The amp is "only" 40 watts so it crancks real easy if need be *the speaker is 97db sensitive with a huge magnet*. It gets pretty thrashy for a 1x12 open back combo. Not huge bass but cuts super easy live.

It can also have three sounds, clean or crunch, ultra and a footswitchable solo boost (which is after the loop, in the power amp so it works with external preamps for example). The crunch channel cleans up to even better cleans than the pristine clean channel with the volume knob roll off trick which I don't like doing but works wonders with this particular amp.

It is the cheapest used, most portable of all (47 lbs I think), even from the 6505+ 112 combo and it is still USA made with the same quality as the big brothers (plywood grade A cab, big trannies etc etc, good tolex etc grille etc). The 6505+ 112 combo is particle board with a closed back. EL34s take it to another level overall if you like their sound.

• Members

right, but 1x12 are smaller and easier to carry, it throws my back out trying to manage a huge 2x12. plus if i wanna move it into the living room while I watch tv it takes up too much room.

I'd say that the handle is also to blame in some occasions so is uneven weight distribution. Why manufacturers don't put two handles to the sides and of reasonable quality instead of most of the {censored}ty handles is beyond me. For example the 36 watt 2x12 vintage modern combo by marshall weighs as much as the 1x12 6505+ 112 combo mentioned here. It is far more easy to carry and it has two good handles on the sides.

• Members

I'm not a gain head, but the Tech 21 Trademark 60 doesn't have enough gain for even classic metal. I used to run mine LOUD for a couple hours at a time during rehearsal & after about the 3rd or 4th night, it tanked. It would heat up & effectively shut off. After an hour or so it would work again. Not made for continuous high volume playing.

Seems to be something wrong with that one, I have watched a lot of gigs with quite a bit of volume with trademark 60's and "plenty of gain" but none of these problems. In my oppinion the newer ones with the seventy/80 speakers were a bad move from tech21 not because of the tonality or something (I prefered the older speaker though) but because of the in-efficiency of the speaker. You don't want to cut headroom with solid state but with 97 db per watt at 1 m this is exactly what this speaker does. Another, even flatter speaker with 102 db for example by eminence (which manufactured their original 12incher) would "double" and more the loudness of the amp, and not push it as much.

I found that it had more than enough gain but in higher volumes I always tend to subtract some gain anyway. I don't know if you mean crazy preamp gain for lower volumes, I don't think it does that as good as a peavey bandit or randall for example.

Oh and you are hardtail? I love big boobs too. Who doesn't?

• Members

A 2x12 with head is probably going to be lighter to haul around than an all in one 1x12 Combo.

6505 1x12 combo weight is 64 lbs.

Mes MK IV 1x12 weights is 83 lbs.

For example, my Marshall 1936 2x12 cab weighs 54 lbs

You also have a lot more options going with a head and 2x12 cab

Super heavy 1x12 combos are indeed weird beings...There are plenty of heads that weigh 35 lbs and lighter cabs too.

Brunetti maranello is only 20 watts class A but it weighs an excellent 25 lbs or some close. They manufactured it with care, special speaker and chose their woods for small weight. Another italian company does exactly that which is dv mark, markbass guitar section.

Imagine a 4x12 which weighs 43 something lbs? They got it. The guy from meshuggah tested it and so did ola englund in most of his vids and it seems to chug just fine. Their three channel, 120 watt KT88 head weighs 18-20 lbs...

• Members

Boogie Mark III head and an EVM-12L loaded Thiele cab.

The Thiele cabs sound killer and the boogie short heads are the same width.

Here's mine with my blackstar head for a size reference.

1492cec7.jpg

Dude that is RAD! Im gonna check em out it would be like a mini stack

• Members

Dude that is RAD! Im gonna check em out it would be like a mini stack

The Thiele cabs are a tuned port design. They sound much bigger than they are. You might even want to check out the little blackstar head. It'll do thrash easy enough and you can boost it. But really, a nice used Mark III is fairly cheap.

• Members

Hey guys, what 1x12 cab would you suggest to match with a Mesa Mini Rectifier?

Something affordable, the Mesa 1x12 for the Mini is a bot expensive.

Been thinking building the enclosure myself and getting a WGS speaker

• Members

Hey guys, what 1x12 cab would you suggest to match with a Mesa Mini Rectifier?

Something affordable, the Mesa 1x12 for the Mini is a bot expensive.

Been thinking building the enclosure myself and getting a WGS speaker

The Jet City 112 is a really solid little cab for the money. Avatar builds a nice cabinet.

Archived