MIDI implementation for channel switching

Seattle Doug

• Members

+1 for channel 1 default + dip switches are nice imo because (1) hardware based / ez to see at a glance (2) not affected by voltage / connection snafus.

Punky are you saying it would be okay with ONLY channel 1 default and NO dippy switchy?

• Members

Punky are you saying it would be okay with ONLY channel 1 default and NO dippy switchy?

punky? son, I'm 53. I'm saying default to channel 1 if only one channel; if you wanted to make it more flexible go with dip switches for the afore mentioned reasons. PS: Been a programmer longer than most forumites herein have been alive, tho the dip switches in the programming I had done were on PLCs.

• Members

punky? son, I'm 53. I'm saying default to channel 1 if only one channel; if you wanted to make it more flexible go with dip switches for the afore mentioned reasons. PS: Been a programmer longer than most forumites herein have been alive, tho the dip switches in the programming I had done were on PLCs.

we're talking MIDI channels not amp channels. Regardless of how many channel the amp will have, it can receive all the program change data on MIDI channel 1.

If someone needs to transmit MIDI on multiple channels they can set the racks to do it and leave ch 1 for the amp changes only. But I doubt it, I haven't seen many guitar rigs where more than one MIDI channel is used.

• Members

we're talking MIDI channels not amp channels.

I'm aware. If you were running two of dougies secret amps they both couldn't be channel one AND be controlled from the same midi foot controller AND enjoy discrete control.

• Members

we're talking MIDI channels not amp channels. Regardless of how many channel the amp will have, it can receive all the program change data on MIDI channel 1.

If someone needs to transmit MIDI on multiple channels they can set the racks to do it and leave ch 1 for the amp changes only. But I doubt it, I haven't seen many guitar rigs where more than one MIDI channel is used.

I do. Marshall, G-Major, Whammy 4 are on seperate channels. Amp defaults to Ch.One, Whammy defaults to 16. Ground Control Pro. YMMV

• Members

I'm aware. If you were running two of dougies secret amps they both couldn't be channel one AND be controlled from the same midi foot controller AND enjoy discrete control.

That's not true, you can have as many amps as you want in a single MIDI channel and still control them individually. You just need to program the amps to do different things on each preset change.

• Members

That's not true, you can have as many amps as you want in a single MIDI channel and still control them individually. You just need to program the amps to do different things on each preset change.

True, but not efficient, because, if I'm understanding what you're saying, then for any given program change to channel 1 you have to account for both amps (i.e. all the respective bits representing settings on BOTH amps have to be accounted for), whereas if each amp enjoys it's own channel program changes to one amp are done completely independent of the other amp. Is my thinking daft?

• Members

True, but not efficient, because,
if I'm understanding what you're saying
, then for any given program change to channel 1 you have to account for both amps (i.e. all the respective bits representing settings on BOTH amps have to be accounted for), whereas if each amp enjoys it's own channel program changes to one amp are done completely independent of the other amp. Is my thinking daft?

I'm smelling what you're cooking. It's not likely you would want both amps to change channels together. Then again, there probably aren't SO many players with two MIDI amps in their rig, but hopefully that's a growing number.

Archived