Have you ever seen a ghost??

gorebreath

• Members
Not much.. I've read a couple of Brian Greene's books.. My point is that just because you cannot see, touch, taste, feel or smell something does not mean that it is not there.. You cannot detect radio waves with your 5 senses, and they have been around since before the first radio receiver was invented. Heard of radio telescopes? They pick up radio waves coming from space, and those same type of radio waves were coming down back in the first century.. Pretty sure if you told someone about them back then they would have thought you were stupid for believing in them.. I can't see it so it doesn't exist.. Right?

How could somebody tell me about radio waves way back then? If you can answer that question then you can see the difference in radio waves and ghosts.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not much.. I've read a couple of Brian Greene's books.. My point is that just because you cannot see, touch, taste, feel or smell something does not mean that it is not there.. You cannot detect radio waves with your 5 senses, and they have been around since before the first radio receiver was invented. Heard of radio telescopes? They pick up radio waves coming from space, and those same type of radio waves were coming down back in the first century.. Pretty sure if you told someone about them back then they would have thought you were stupid for believing in them.. I can't see it so it doesn't exist.. Right?

Billy Graham used a similar comment in regards to a discourse on God as compared to wind. While we cannot see, touch, or feel God, we do experience the impact and movement as a result of an intangible force. My two cents.

• Members

Billy Graham used a similar comment in regards to a discourse on God as compared to wind. While we cannot see, touch, or feel God, we do experience the impact and movement as a result of an intangible force. My two cents.

subtitle: the story blows :o

sorry, it was there, it was going to be me or someone else, at least I was gentle :)

• Members

This is what happens when you get too high on life.

• Members

I'm going to assume you are not a religious man. If you were a true Christian for example, you would believe stories in the Bible describing supernatural events being witnessed.

Plus, the Sixth Sense is based on a true story.

Sixth Sense is actually a documentary.

• Members

Science has gone beyond Newton and the empirical mindset
.. Ever heard of Quantum Physics? There some pretty strange stuff going on in that realm, and there's a lot that we have yet to understand about it. I'm not going to rule out what I cannot see, hear and feel just because I can't sense it. I believe in God, Jesus, angels, heaven and even hell for that matter. I believe that the complexity of reality, including Quantum Physics, just gives more credibility
to the theory of creation than it just happened by itself.
I realize this forum is predominantly agnostic / atheist, and that's ok.. I can talk amps without being preachy..

your understanding of science is.... ropey at best.

1. Quantum physics is certainly NOT beyond 'the empirical mindset'. Read a couple of science journals.

2. You are actually using quantum physics in an attempt to give more credibilty to creationism (at the expense of 'happened by itself', which by the way is neither the underlying thought behind current cosmological theories (including bigbang theory) and Evolution theory(which is something unrelated anyway, as it describes the Origin of Species, not the origin of life)? :facepalm:

3. None of this gives any more evidence of the existence of ghosts, spirits, nymphs, gods etc. I am not mocking your beliefs, people are free to believe what they want, however there is a distinct difference between religious/supernatural beliefs and facts. Facts need testable proof, and since there is none for supernatural phenomena, we can assume that these do not exist. That does not mean there is no possibility they do exist, but until there is some sort of proof, we can assume they don't. Just like we can assume invisible flying elephants do not exist. or aliens for that matter

• Members

I don't think it's really a "I can't see therefore it's not there" argument. There's scientific evidence for radio waves, we observe their effects on an almost daily basis and have irrefutable prove that they exist. This type of evidence just doesn't exist for the supernatural.

I understand what your saying.. Ultimately it comes down to faith.. I believe that I can feel His presence, and can see Him in my mind's eye.. Unbelievers would call this crazy or just wishful thinking, but to me it is real and sensory.. It's definitely not one of the 5 senses..

• Members

Yeah, that's not really the same thing as there being some mystical beardo in the sky who, with his amazingly infinite abilities, created everything in 6 days... but then needed a {censored}ing rest. And created the human species, deliberately flawed, so that he could then punish them for eternity.Noah's Ark really happened too (another story about God being a complete wanker... "Oh I {censored}ed up and made people {censored}, so now I'm gonna kill {censored}ing EVERYTHING! :mad:"). Let's not forget the son who was also God, and the resurrections and other such nonsense. And apparently if we genuinely pray for something, we get it. That's what Jesus reckoned. We can move mountains 'n' {censored}. We can also {censored} over random innocent fig trees. Moreso if a few people get involved in the praying.

Really?

Coz I'm pretty sure there are many millions of people across the world praying for an end to all the wars, poverty, diseases, Coldplay, etc. etc. He's not doing much about any of that, is he? Oh, but someone prayed for their mother to get better and she did... praise the Lord! Did she grow back an amputated leg? Has anyone ever grown back a missing limb as a result of prayer? I think not. Nooooo... it's always something that funnily enough, could also have been cured by other means. :poke:

Yeah whatever... I'm tired and angry. :o

And you believe in nonsense. :o

• Members

I understand what your saying.. Ultimately it comes down to faith.. I believe that I can feel His presence, and can see Him in my mind's eye.. Unbelievers would call this crazy or just wishful thinking, but to me it is real and sensory.. It's definitely not one of the 5 senses..

To go further, it's of no sense at all. :o

And just to point out, we actually have more than 5 senses. That we only have 5 is somewhat of an old concept. :idk:

• Members

your understanding of science is.... ropey at best.

1. Quantum physics is certainly NOT beyond 'the empirical mindset'. Read a couple of science journals.

2. You are actually using quantum physics in an attempt to give more credibilty to creationism (at the expense of 'happened by itself', which by the way is neither the underlying thought behind current cosmological theories (including bigbang theory) and Evolution theory(which is something unrelated anyway, as it describes the Origin of Species, not the origin of life)?
:facepalm:
3. None of this gives any more evidence of the existence of ghosts, spirits, nymphs, gods etc. I am not mocking your beliefs, people are free to believe what they want, however there is a distinct difference between religious/supernatural beliefs and facts. Facts need testable proof, and since there is none for supernatural phenomena, we can assume that these do not exist. That does not mean there is no possibility they do exist, but until there is some sort of proof, we can assume they don't. Just like we can assume invisible flying elephants do not exist. or aliens for that matter

I understand what your saying, but perhaps a detection device could be invented in the future that detects paranormal events.. Would you believe then?

They could assume that atoms did not exist before they could detect and prove them, but that assumption would have been false..

• Members

Yeah, that's not really the same thing as there being some mystical beardo in the sky who, with his amazingly infinite abilities, created everything in 6 days... but then needed a {censored}ing rest. And created the human species, deliberately flawed, so that he could then punish them for eternity.Noah's Ark really happened too (another story about God being a complete wanker... "Oh I {censored}ed up and made people {censored}, so now I'm gonna kill {censored}ing EVERYTHING! :mad:"). Let's not forget the son who was also God, and the resurrections and other such nonsense. And apparently if we genuinely pray for something, we get it. That's what Jesus reckoned. We can move mountains 'n' {censored}. We can also {censored} over random innocent fig trees. Moreso if a few people get involved in the praying.

Really?

Coz I'm pretty sure there are many millions of people across the world praying for an end to all the wars, poverty, diseases, Coldplay, etc. etc. He's not doing much about any of that, is he? Oh, but someone prayed for their mother to get better and she did... praise the Lord! Did she grow back an amputated leg? Has anyone ever grown back a missing limb as a result of prayer? I think not. Nooooo... it's always something that funnily enough, could also have been cured by other means. :poke:

Yeah whatever... I'm tired and angry.
:o

And you believe in nonsense.
:o

Yes, I am especially proud of my power over fig trees.. :thu:

• Members

I understand what your saying.. Ultimately it comes down to faith..

Sigh. Sorry, but that whole "faith" thing is a farce, a construct evented by the church as an easy way to dismiss those with critical thinking who ask too many questions; "he has little faith". How can anyone with a functioning brain stem support an organization that espouses to know and represent God yet has a private club on the side where the elite can rape / abuse children with impunity?

• Members

I understand what your saying, but perhaps a detection device could be invented in the future that detects paranormal events.. Would you believe then?

They could assume that atoms did not exist before they could detect and prove them, but that assumption would have been false..

if we could detect 'supernatural' phenomena, they would not be supernatural, because all we can observe/detect are natural phenomena.

• Members

Yall are gonna make me bring out the big guns...

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.."

See... It's ok that yall were wrong, I will accept your apologies now..
:lol:

:facepalm:

you can't proof a negative and nobody has to. When you make a positive claim (such as 'God exists' or 'Ghosts exist' or 'aliens exist'), the claimant has to prove the truth to their claim. Not the other way around. :cop:

Archived