Anyone into Soul and old R&B? Recommend me some

Soundstorm

• Members

When I'm not listening to metal, I like to kick it old school, especially when I'm cooking. Yesterday I was listening to Van Morrisson's Moondance album. So anything along the lines of "it stoned me" "caravan" "into the mystic" would be awesome

• Members

Otis Redding

Sam Cooke

Aretha

Stevie Wonder

Bill Withers

to start....

Van Morrison is hardly white bread {censored}, he's an incredible singer and songwriter. Look up the Allman Brothers/Warren Haynes doing And It Stoned Me and Into The Mystic, incredible versions.

more modern

Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes is a great suggestion, especially both of their latest solo records

• Members

Van Morrison is fine, but he's the top 40 version....

There is just so much geat R&B out there that this generation has not heard.

When I said White bread, I ment generic or familiar stuff...

BTW> Van's really not white...he's Irish :p

• Members

Bobby Bland
Bobby Womack
Sam Cooke
Otis Redding
Mavis Staples
Minnie Ripperton
Delfonics

you know what. Just listen to the Jackie Brown soundtrack. Then when your into the old school try out some Neo Soul

Erykah Badu
Angie Stone
D'Angelo
Musiq Souldchild
Bilal (personal fav of this)
Maxwell

lots of good Soul and R&B out there

• Members

Sly and the Family Stone!

And when "There's A Riot Going On" has sinked in, get into Parliament/Funkadelic.

Great album , BUT Riot was more Soulful Rock pop than pure FUNK like Parliament. Id say definitely listen to Fresh! not only is it Slys best album. Its the album music historians credit with cementing Funk as a genre. Not to say Riot wasnt equally important, by Fresh! had that more upbeat Funk and even more heavily drug influenced Parliament sound

Archived