NCD... well almost...

satannica

• Members

Got all the bits for my new PC in today.

Got myself a Corsair Carbide 400R case to replace my Coolermaster Cosmos, an Asus P8Z68-V PRO.GEN3 mobo, which will have an i7 2700k (I know it's overkill but this is meant to last), 8GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM - until 8GB DIMMs are cheaper, when I'll max it out to 32GB, a Corsair Hyrdo cooler and a Crucial M4 SSD.

Sadly, my HD6970 hasn't shown up, neither has my 3TB storage drive. But, at least I can get the build more or less done with what I have.

Add to this new copies of Cubase 6.5 and a new (used) Edirol MIDI keyboard, I gotta busy weekend ahead :D

• Members

Bit of both; I'm not a massive gamer, but when I do wanna relax, the games need to look right, ergo the card.

It's primarily music/software development/university work.

One thing I'm glad to get rid of is my 2TB drive. It's a Seagate EcoGreen 5400RPM thing and it's bloody poisonous. ANY system I put it into, even if it's just being used for archive stuff, slows it down to a crawl and plays havoc with any recording software. Glad it's gone. Well, actually it's going into my NAS case, but there we go.

• Members

Nice man! I've been looking at computer parts myself lately, plan on making a new build in the next few months. I've had my trusty first build since 2004 and it is showing it's age lol!

I don't think I will go i7 but maybe i5. we'll see, depends if I can land a job or force myself to sell some gear :lol:

• Members

awesome, I'm going with an i3 with the same mobo/ram. Can't afford the i7 for now but the i3 is better than my current phenom2. I, like you, am looking build the rig to last quite a while.

Rule of thumb: Get the best motherboard and PSU money allows. then spend the majority of the rest on CPU, even at the cost of RAM/hard disk/graphics. The latter are really easy upgrades, financially and physically.

• Members

Rule of thumb: Get the best motherboard and PSU money allows. then spend the majority of the rest on CPU, even at the cost of RAM/hard disk/graphics. The latter are really easy upgrades, financially and physically.

If I read the OP right you're getting the same mobo I am.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131790

the psu I'll be getting is

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703027

But yeah, I agree, the mobo is the heart of the system and you need to spend some cash on it. That's why I'm getting one 4x the price of the current one I use.

• Members

I love ASUS! :love:

I've had my AMD 3500+ / Asus build since 2004 and I finally did a reformat December 2010, lol! Upgraded from 1 to 3gb ram and it was enough to get me through some recording (and years of gaming) but I'm ready for an upgrade and massive loading of VSTs :)

• Members

Yeah, my last build was in 2005 - still running it now

Asus P5Q deluxe

Core 2 Duo @ 3ghz

Antec case

Corsair modular PSU

8800GT graphics board

4gb RAM

Dell UltraSharp monitor

I look at the specs and think it's outdated now, but TBH it runs everything I want quickly and has never crashed or broken down. I still record on it with loads of tracks.

If I upgraded I'd need to get a new mobo, CPU, RAM and probably graphics board so it'd be quite expensive.

• Members

Got all the bits for my new PC in today.

Got myself a Corsair Carbide 400R case to replace my Coolermaster Cosmos, an Asus P8Z68-V PRO.GEN3 mobo, which will have an i7 2700k (I know it's overkill but this is meant to last), 8GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM - until 8GB DIMMs are cheaper, when I'll max it out to 32GB, a Corsair Hyrdo cooler and a Crucial M4 SSD.

Sadly, my HD6970 hasn't shown up, neither has my 3TB storage drive. But, at least I can get the build more or less done with what I have.

Add to this new copies of Cubase 6.5 and a new (used) Edirol MIDI keyboard, I gotta busy weekend ahead
:D

Good choices all of them pretty much what I would go for.

• Members

If I read the OP right you're getting the same mobo I am.

the psu I'll be getting is

But yeah, I agree, the mobo is the heart of the system and you need to spend some cash on it. That's why I'm getting one 4x the price of the current one I use.

Not heard of that brand PSU before. Check it out properly first. I've had some right {censored} experiences with cheaper PSUs, and even some branded units, like Ocz. I used to have an Ocz in my latest Q9550 built, but the damn thing kept blowing.

I dropped the coin on a Corsair PSU for my other half's build and my media box, and both are rock solid. My brother's Corsair PSU has lasted five years with no problems either, so decided to go with a good, if expensive, make.

Last time round, I diverted some graphics card cash towards better CPU and glad I did. Six months later, when I'd saved enough, I got about 3/4s back on what I spent on the first card, which allowed me to actually get a better one than I was intending.

In truth, the current system (Q9550/8GB/Radeon HD4890) would do me a good while longer, but the other half's machine is really creaky, so using it as an excuse to upgrade.

Archived