new monitor day.

newholland

• Members

been awaiting this moment for WAY too long... new set o' yamaha hs80's inbound for today.. the schedule's been cleared after work, and i'm gonna sit and review the last 3 years worth of recording work and probably cry due to the {censored}ups below 100hz. :D ladies, the bottom octave will arrive this afternoon around 3pm.

friends don't let friends mix on 6" woofers. :facepalm:

have to pass on my thanks to arend over at sweetwater, who's a genuine joy to work with- can't recommend talking to loop highly enough, and also to my wife who handed me a birthday card this year with a nifty handmade gift certificate with a nifty drawing saying 'this certificate good for two studio monitors' :D lucky, i am.

more later once i've put these things to work!

• Members

been awaiting this moment for WAY too long... new set o' yamaha hs80's inbound for today.. the schedule's been cleared after work, and i'm gonna sit and review the last 3 years worth of recording work and probably cry due to the {censored}ups below 100hz.
:D
ladies, the bottom octave will arrive this afternoon around 3pm.

friends don't let friends mix on 6" woofers.
:facepalm:

have to pass on my thanks to arend over at sweetwater, who's a genuine joy to work with- can't recommend talking to loop highly enough, and also to my wife who handed me a birthday card this year with a nifty handmade gift certificate with a nifty drawing saying 'this certificate good for two studio monitors'
lucky, i am.

more later once i've put these things to work!

Wow, congrats man. So happy for you!

• Members

Thanks Tom-- what're you using for monitors nowadays?

I have 2 sets of Adam A7s.

Man though best thing ever for recording I've got is my Allen and Heath Zed r16. I can do whole bands using 13 mics with ease. Fold back monitoring, for absolute zero latency, beautiful pre-amps, really nice D/A. It's a dream.

And loop was the man on that deal, and many others too, so props to him.

• Members

Those Yamahas are pretty sweet. You should get a lot of mileage out of them. Just remember to test them out with some favorite commercial releases and use reference material while listening to your own stuff so you don't over-correct your mixes. When I got my latest pair of monitors I over-corrected because they had SO MUCH MORE bass and low mids than my old setup did and then it sounded thin and tinny everywhere else to me. Took me several weeks of listening to other things to start to get used to how they sounded.

• Members

Those Yamahas are pretty sweet. You should get a lot of mileage out of them. Just remember to test them out with some favorite commercial releases and use reference material while listening to your own stuff so you don't over-correct your mixes. When I got my latest pair of monitors I over-corrected because they had SO MUCH MORE bass and low mids than my old setup did and then it sounded thin and tinny everywhere else to me. Took me several weeks of listening to other things to start to get used to how they sounded.

yeah, for sure. i used to mix on a set of B&W cdm1's with a 400 watt amp, and then got these mackies... talk about a major change. i'm hoping that this'll be a step in the right direction after struggling for a few years.

• Members

a7's huh? man, sometime, i gotta try this mythical 'getting paid' thing...
mebbe i could rock some better biz..
:lol:

Yeah, getting paid LOL

This is still the best thing I've did. It's become a real cult hit in the pop punk underground. I made a whopping $250 LOL, but I loved doing it.

http://agescleveland.bandcamp.com/album/sleep-on-it

• Members

Yeah, getting paid LOL

This is still the best thing I've did. It's become a real cult hit in the pop punk underground. I made a whopping $250 LOL, but I loved doing it.

http://agescleveland.bandcamp.com/album/sleep-on-it

i know how y' feel. i don't think anything i've had the chance to work on has gotten much distro.. but somebody's gotta do it :D.

this hyars the last thing i done did: http://henofthewoods.bandcamp.com/track/inna-them-woods

• Members

i know how y' feel. i don't think anything i've had the chance to work on has gotten much distro.. but somebody's gotta do it

this hyars the last thing i done did:
http://henofthewoods.bandcamp.com/track/inna-them-woods

Oddly I some how always worked the system and have been on small record labels, I'm about to pitch a new ep I just did for my band and see if I can get someone to press it.

• Members

CMS50s are UNBELIEVABLY good little monitors.
:love:

Yeah dude, i heard Rokits the other day and it wasnt as clear at all. i do find the focals hard to mix acoustic guitars on though as they make it sound so damn good no mater what :o

• Members

ah, you guys're killin' me. i still have three hours before i can even LOOK at 'em... :facepalm:

i'm definitely looking forward to being able to seat stuff right-- i seriously feel like with where the mackies roll off on the bottom, it seems almost impossible to get vocals to sound right through the monitors, and it's WAY too much guesswork, remix, listen, guesswork. nevermind just getting your kick to have authority and gel with the bass. guess i never bonded with them like i did with my B&Ws.. i shouldn'tve sold them. :cry:

• Members

Yeah dude, i heard Rokits the other day and it wasnt as clear at all. i do find the focals hard to mix acoustic guitars on though as they make it sound so damn good no mater what
:o

i don't mind LISTENING on rokits.. they're nice sounding-- but mixing isn't necessarily about sounding great. the 80's just seemed in focus-- so did the mr5's.. they were just in focus for an incomplete amount of the audio spectrum... :D

Archived