soldano hot mod... anywhere to sorce one?

dxjxrose

• Members

They're hard to find, but pop up on ebay & craigslist occasionally. I tried one briefly, but it didnt jive with me. Turned my Marshalls into 80's hairspray chainsaw with a hint of wasps in a metal can. Lots of hiss & noise too

• Members

I used to have some of these. Even had one that Bill Sundt modded with a master volume pot hot-glued to the side. The biggest problem I had with these units was finding good replacement tubes that weren't already microphonic. I remember my buddy's original 808 Tube Screamer sounded better goosing the front end rather than having a HM mounted up; way quieter with the pedal, too.

• Members

I have a sd-1 I modded to keeley specs and one I modded for more flat sound with a touch of added bass and both sound good but I can't get pinch harmonics to sing for some reason as I could with my butcher and jcm 800s

• Members

I have a sd-1 I modded to keeley specs and one I modded for more flat sound with a touch of added bass and both sound good but I can't get pinch harmonics to sing for some reason as I could with my butcher and jcm 800s

What pre amp tubes are you using? Try some Tung Sol 12ax7's. PLENTY of gain & nice & fat on the bottom end

• Members

My buddy and I have been working with a local amp guru on a switchable version that uses 2 12ax7's. It sounds great, but we need to add some components to make the sweep more consistent. Also working on better grounding options and cable/mounting options.

Prototype 1. Black dot is unity gain.

nauhotmod.jpg

• Members

That's what I want

John Nau is the guy making it. It's at a stand-still at the moment though. My same buddy who has the two Hot Mods also has a couple prototypes. I'll ask him if he'd be willing to sell one of them also. I know there are issues with brightness levels as you sweep through. That is why we have to add some bright caps or something. We are also trying to get John to add just an on/off switch rather than the knob.

Archived