Help with REAPER.

Chrisjd

• Members

Not using monitors right now, only head phones in interface jack. output 3 is the only one that is providing sound right now.

try it though. if you're only routing to right hand outputs-- you may still end up getting ONLY right hand information. just for the sake of argument. it won't mess up anything to try. all you'd be doing is opening the RANGE of outputs to include all available stereo channels.

• Members

holy {censored}. I am a damn moron. it works.

:lol:

naw man.. it's a big logic jump to get all this stuff down! i made EASILY every mistake known to humanity, i promise. set it up so that you have the 'first' selected as output 1, and the last selected as 4. that way, you're routing to all outputs, and when you put in your monitors when you get 'em ;) they work.

• Members

naw man.. it's a big logic jump to get all this stuff down! i made EASILY every mistake known to humanity, i promise. set it up so that you have the 'first' selected as output 1, and the last selected as 4. that way, you're routing to all outputs, and when you put in your monitors when you get 'em
;)
they work.

Gotcha. Thanks to both you and exafro. you both make awesome clips.

• Members

naw man.. it's a big logic jump to get all this stuff down! i made EASILY every mistake known to humanity, i promise. set it up so that you have the 'first' selected as output 1, and the last selected as 4. that way, you're routing to all outputs, and when you put in your monitors when you get 'em
;)
they work.

This is what I was just about to type. You want to make sure you have the Input and Output ranges setup so everything is selected. Sometimes the default range is only for 2 inputs, when your interface could have 8 or 16.

• Members

This is what I was just about to type. You want to make sure you have the Input and Output ranges setup so everything is selected. Sometimes the default range is only for 2 inputs, when your interface could have 8 or 16.

YEs, but when i select 1 and 4, i get nothing out of my headphones.

• Members

honest to god.. you oughta seen how much cussing i was into figuring out 8 inputs and an ungodly amount of outputs.. :lol:

no sweat chris-- just shout if you need help. i'm only good for simple {censored}-- i'm sure exafro's way better at more complex functions. i treat mine like a daggone tape machine otherwise :lol:

• Members

I'm using the 64 bit version in Windows 7 and I don't have any problems. It's always very stable for me, even running tons of VST's, bridged or not.

If you aren't wanting to learn any more about a DAW than is required for a more casual program like Garage Band, then maybe Garage Band is the right thing for you? Reaper requires very little to get started, but if you want to get the most out of it, expect to start learning. For what it's worth though, a lot of things in Reaper (like routing) are extremely intuitive...so much so that if you're used to other DAW's it will throw you off, because you will assume it can't be that simple...

Edit: I didn't mean to sound like a dick. But seriously, be patient and check out the Reaper forums and download the manual. I'm finding out all the time how deep this program is, and it is definitely beyond me to use it to it's potential. If it all seems like too much crap, there are programs for the more casual user.

• Members

I'm using the 64 bit version in Windows 7 and I don't have any problems. It's always very stable for me, even running tons of VST's, bridged or not.

If you aren't wanting to learn any more about a DAW than is required for a more casual program like Garage Band, then maybe Garage Band is the right thing for you? Reaper requires very little to get started, but if you want to get the most out of it, expect to start learning. For what it's worth though, a lot of things in Reaper (like routing) are extremely intuitive...so much so that if you're used to other DAW's it will throw you off, because you will assume it can't be that simple...

Edit: I didn't mean to sound like a dick. But seriously, be patient and check out the Reaper forums and download the manual. I'm finding out all the time how deep this program is, and it is definitely beyond me to use it to it's potential. If it all seems like too much crap, there are programs for the more casual user.

i'll agree with everything said here, for sure. not 100% on the 'intuitiveness' aspect, sometimes-- but i'm used to tape and ADAT machines.. so if you're just OLD like myself, none of it is intuitive... but you can figure it out with enough concerted effort.

you can totally get {censored}ed up from the BAZILLION ways you can configure reaper-- routing, if you're not careful-- can be the bane of your existence, and if you're good with it, can make your life WAY easier. its seriously a fantastic program, but you have to be willing to dig to really wring it out. be careful with the mouse and what you click on inadvertently... trust me on THAT.

i love it- but it has brought about storms of raging profanity too.

• Members

Bro Chris, I do not know how to record, like not at all not a clue. A guy here turned me on to this site and after talking with someone over there, they recommended Reaper for me and these vids and I have to tell ya, Im really looking forward to getting this stuff so that I can record all of these Ideas that Ive had but couldnt do anything about..

http://www.groove3.com/str/reaper-training-videos/

hope all is well...

Kage

• Members

Bro Chris, I do not know how to record, like not at all not a clue. A guy here turned me on to this site and after talking with someone over there, they recommended Reaper for me and these vids and I have to tell ya, Im really looking forward to getting this stuff so that I can record all of these Ideas that Ive had but couldnt do anything about..

hope all is well...

Kage

Kage, thanks. I gotta call ya soon. I'll PM you and we'll set up a time to talk my man.

• Members

Was Reaper open when you dropped it into the folder?

Yes, it was. but i closed it and reopened and it still didn't work. Oh well. I redered it as a wave file instead. Here is an uber-{censored}ty clip i did in 2 takes that is not on time whatsoever, but I am pretty happy with the raw tone I hear.

http://soundcloud.com/chrisdahlen/first-reaper-track

Archived