advice nedded please

• Members

i lent my mate my wah pedal, result he spills liquid into it its a nice crybaby, it still works, he is jobless and in no position to replace it.

is there any permanent damage done?

im fearing the worst but i have heard these pedals are robust, he was only usin a 9v battery

• Members

Anything with sugar in it you want to get it off the circuit board likes coke and coffee. It eats up the traces over time. I repaired thousands of circuit boards like calculators an business equipment where people dump coffee in there. You can remove the board, wash it with soap and water and a brush, the dry it with a hair dryer on low heat. Plain water doesnt hurt electronics with no power applied. You just need to dry it well. With a wah you can probibly just clean it up lifting the board and wiping it down with a damp cloth and a brush. The pots on those are sealed so they should be OK. The coil would be my only other concern. if it soaked into it the sugar will corrode the enamel wires so flushing it may be an option.

• Members

oh right, does it not fry the electrics?

Depends what it is. A wah only runs at 9v so there's little to no electrical risk. As WRGKMC said the main risk is from sugary or acidic drinks - the acid can etch through traces, the sugar gums everything up.

What did he spill?

Archived