Will thicker strings intonate better for lower tunings?

soilent

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think any of my 7s are that well intonated for the B when you go higher up the neck. Some are better than others.

It doesn't particularly bother me though, as I usually play higher stuff on higher strings. The 12th fret for example, I'd generally prefer the sound of the 7th on the E anyway. It might mean a bit more jumping around the fretboard sometimes, but I do that anyway, e.g. if I want to stick to wound strings only for a bunch of chords. :idk:

• Members

I don't think any of my 7s are that well intonated for the B when you go higher up the neck. Some are better than others.

It doesn't particularly bother me though, as I usually play higher stuff on higher strings. The 12th fret for example, I'd generally prefer the sound of the 7th on the E anyway. It might mean a bit more jumping around the fretboard sometimes, but I do that anyway, e.g. if I want to stick to wound strings only for a bunch of chords.
:idk:

Try to stay on topic, please.

• Members

I know of a good local luthier and he's very techy in building his guitars... math/physics/material sciences etc.. he uses all of them. I recall him telling me that it's practically impossible to build a balanced/well intonated 7-string without it looking horrendous (no headstock etc).

Archived