Will thicker strings intonate better for lower tunings?

soilent

• Members

I've been playing exclusively in drop A lately and while my standard scale six string guitar intonates fine, I'm really having trouble getting my 4 string bass to intonate on the low A (E standard) string. The other 3 strings sound just fine, but for some reason the low A sounds funky and won't intonate. This is the case on two different basses of mine. One is a 35" scale and one 34" scale. I've just been using EB power slinkies which only go up to 110 gauge. Will a thicker string intonate better?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When you say "won't intonate" do you mean you're running out of travel on the saddle or that it just sounds out of tune all over the neck? A 110 is probably going to sound like floppy ass tuned down to A. I agree with Zach, you need at least a 130 but I would try to find a 145.

• Members

When you say "won't intonate" do you mean you're running out of travel on the saddle or that it just sounds out of tune all over the neck? A 110 is probably going to sound like floppy ass tuned down to A. I agree with Zach, you need at least a 130 but I would try to find a 145.

Both. It pretty much sounds weird all over the neck and certainly won't hit a solid A on my tuner at the 12th fret. Too sharp.

• Members

For serious? That sounds so thick. I might have to file out my nut.

130 is the smallest i'd use for A. that's a light gauge 5 string B. you will most likely have to file the nut for all four strings.

if you like ernie ball strings, i'd recommend the 5 string power slinky set, just toss the little string.

• Members

Both. It pretty much sounds weird all over the neck and certainly won't hit a solid A on my tuner at the 12th fret. Too sharp.

Yup, need to move up in gauge then. As Zach mentioned, 130 is standard light gauge for a 5 string so that is on the smaller end of where I would go.

• Members

Cool, will this give me a more normal saddle position instead of all the way back?

Ideally yeah, though a low B string that size will still end up pretty far back. This is where the saddle is on my 6 string:

aad19f76.jpg

• Members

Yes. However you will need to slot the nut out - not as scary as it sounds. You will also need to adjust the rod and I wouldn't do that if you a) don't know what you're doing and b) don't have a proper set of feeler gauges/technician's metal ruler.

You can either use this to gain experience and set it up yourself, or hand it to a tech and let him do it for you. If you want to go the former route, reply back and I'll tap out a how to if you like.

• Members

not to hijack the thread, but how do you keep your intonation on a standard scale guitar with such low tuning? I'm a Drop B guy, but I have yet to see a guitar that intonates properly above the 12th fret!

Even though the tuner says everything is almost ok and I use thick strings, I can definitely hear how wrong the long droning chords sound :freak:

Looks like a baritone scale is the only way to go.. :(

• Members

not to hijack the thread, but how do you keep your intonation on a standard scale guitar with such low tuning? I'm a Drop B guy, but I have yet to see a guitar that intonates properly above the 12th fret!

Even though the tuner says everything is almost ok and I use thick strings, I can definitely hear how wrong the long droning chords sound
:freak:
Looks like a baritone scale is the only way to go..
:(

What kind of tuner are you using? Something like a Boss NS-2 is not particularly accurate for fine adjustments like intonation.

• Members

Even though the tuner says everything is almost ok and I use thick strings, I can definitely hear how wrong the long droning chords sound
:freak:
Looks like a baritone scale is the only way to go..
:(

Buy a Schecter:lol: Nah, but honestly I don't know. My guitar is set up pretty normal and it just works. The only one's I have problems with are the low A's, but I just push the saddle all the way back on my guitar and it works good enough for me. I'm not at all a wanker/solo player so don't really need perfect intonation all the way up the neck.

However, I'm just gunna leave this here for ya. I don't think you'll find another baritone cheaper than this. http://www.rondomusic.com/hadron627na.html http://www.rondomusic.com/CORVIS627bkhum.html

• Members

seriously bro, not trying to be a jerk, but why not look into 7's and 5's? you can get as low as you want AND keep your high notes AND not have to worry as much the 'it won't intonate' headache.

i always had that problem trying to tune down my 6 strings (7 string tuning, down one half step, no high e) and it usually sounded like floppy arse. and i already use big strings. got myself a 7 and a 5 and haven't had that problem since.

• Members

Real men go low on standard scales
:rawk:

And constantly complain about the intonation being off or having to get a new nut or do set up work or trying to find the right gauge strings, etc. Save yourself the hassle and get a 7 string or a baritone, you know those guitars that are designed to be tuned that low. :)

• Members

As stated, thicker strings will do you fine.

I write alot in A standard, actually. Not merely drop A, and have had very decent (but albeit not exactly perfect) intonation after setting my {censored} up proper, and getting the right strings. For A standard, on a 6 string with a 25.5" scale length, I was using these: http://www.juststrings.com/dad-xl157.html

They even worked decent on an LTD FX-250 guitar I had which had a little bit shorter, Gibson style scale length, as well.

But you should be fine with a set like that, and taking the time to set your guitar up for it...neck, intonation, will have to file the nut for at least your lowest string...maybe even drill out the tuning peg to fit the string...not as scary as it sounds, just be VERY careful. In fact, since your only doing Drop A, you could/should use a lighter set, but I'd recommend keeping your A at least a .62 so it won't get floppy on ya'. But it's still not gonna be as perfect as it could on a baritone scale. The intonation shortcomings of tuning like this on a standard scale become VERY apparent when double tracking guitars, IME.

And for bass, I have great results using a .135 for an A on a 34" scale length neck. but it does sound a bit better on a 35".

Also worth mentioning...if you continue this route, you will probably find yourself wanting a baritone scale length neck. doesn't need to be a 7 string, if you don't want that, but that extra couple of inches' makes the difference...don't listen to the females....size DOES matter here!

But with a proper baritone scale, you will hear the difference immediately....especially on clean stuff. There's really none of that odd 'warble' the lower notes get when you let them ring out...more 'piano like' for lack of a better description . Just very solid, and authoritative. Also, you don't have to go quite as crazy on your string guages either, with the longer scale. I use .13-.62 for A standard on my baritones (one is a 28" scale 6 string, the other, a 27" scale 7 string, with an .11 added for the highest string) and I like a tight string, as I'm mostly a rhythm player...you could easily get away with something a couple notches lower if you so prefer, and have no issues with floppiness.

• Members

For serious? That sounds so thick. I might have to file out my nut.

Like other people have said, a thicker string is the answer. You might also look into taperwound strings. They have fewer windings over the bridge saddle in order to intonate better.

• Members

A .110 for drop A?? Yeah, no wonder man. You're tuning AEAD? Just get a light 5 string set and lose the high G. Easy. EB strings are ok if you're endorsed by 'em but IME they die out too quick. Best "off the shelf" stuff is the DR Hi Beams but I use custom Circle K gauges for my ACGCF tuning. :rawk: :rawk:

www.circlekstrings.com

I use the .124 drop 4 string set plus a low .150 for the B tuned to A. It sounds big on paper but they're actually very flexible. They were designed to do this kinda stuff, so it just "works".

• Members

Don't most 7 string guitars have the same scale length as a 6 string guitar? 25.5? If so, there shouldn't be any difference intonating a 6 string vs a 7 string?? Right?

That said, i use my LTD Viper for B and Drop-A tuning with 13 - 56 guage strings. It has pretty low action (which helps) and i have very good intonation on that guitar all the way up the neck. It has a 24.75 scale length.

I tried tuning an Gibson LP to B and i had more trouble keeping that intonated higher on the fret board. I believe those jumbo frets that esp and ltd's have really help with intonation.

Bass, i have no idea?

Archived