OT: Anyone own a Ford Ranger with a tach?

theAntihero

• Members

Stupid off the wall question here that has nothing to do with music. My first car is/was a 91 Ford Ranger that after sitting in the woods for 7 years i decided to resurrect. Its taken a bit of work but im driving it around now, but the tach no longer works and ill be damned if i can find out anything about the wiring of it online, its like no one has ever had a problem with one. I feel so very alone:cry:

Anyone know of/can find/has a diagram of it? I know there is a wire that controls it off of the coil but there are 5 thousand wires coming from the coil most of which i dont want to screw with if dont have to

• Members

Stupid off the wall question here that has nothing to do with music. My first car is/was a 91 Ford Ranger that after sitting in the woods for 7 years i decided to resurrect. Its taken a bit of work but im driving it around now, but the tach no longer works and ill be damned if i can find out anything about the wiring of it online, its like no one has ever had a problem with one. I feel so very alone:cry:

Anyone know of/can find/has a diagram of it? I know there is a wire that controls it off of the coil but there are 5 thousand wires coming from the coil most of which i dont want to screw with if dont have to

I can try and find out at work tomorrow. I can't promise anything, but if you wanna post the info about it here, or PM it to me (engine, trans, 2 or 4wd all that good crap) i'll see what I can do.

Unless someone else pops up sooner.

• Members

I can try and find out at work tomorrow. I can't promise anything, but if you wanna post the info about it here, or PM it to me (engine, trans, all that good crap) i'll see what I can do.

Unless someone else pops up sooner.

:thu:

Its a 91 4.0l 4x4 manual transmission xlt supercab.

Thanks a lot!

• Members

That seems to be more about adding a tach rather than one with a stock tach. I wish i could get the pic to load because im thinking its the wire i need to check.

Ovid, thanks for all the diagrams!There doesnt seem to be a definitive the-wire-be-here but i bet it'll help me. If not ill show them to my bass player and we'll se what he says as he is far better at wiring thean i am.

• Members

if all else fails, you could just run a new wire from the coil to the tach
:idk:

It might come to that but apparently the wire, which is either green/yellow, white, black, brown, or "sorta purplish",takes a pit stop at the EEC to do something with the fuel mixture. Because i dont have a check engine light coming on im guessing teh tach wire has failed somewhere between the EEC and the actual tach.

God i miss old cars with their 5 wires controlling everything.

• Members

you can still run a wire from the coil to the tach...that way you don't have to mess with the EEC harness at all.

you might also want to make sure that it's not the tach itself that's bad. i've never seen or heard of that happening, but i guess it's possible.

• Members

you can still run a wire from the coil to the tach...that way you don't have to mess with the EEC harness at all.

you might also want to make sure that it's not the tach itself that's bad. i've never seen or heard of that happening, but i guess it's possible.

Yeah, i might just do that. The tach could be bad, like i said it has sat forever and a couple of electronic things have already came back after a little while so i have been hoping that the tach could have a its-alive! moment but so far no luck. If it was an auto i wouldnt screw with it, but i like to see my rpms on a manual.

• Members

That seems to be more about adding a tach rather than one with a stock tach. I wish i could get the pic to load because im thinking its the wire i need to check.

Ovid, thanks for all the diagrams!There doesnt seem to be a definitive the-wire-be-here but i bet it'll help me. If not ill show them to my bass player and we'll se what he says as he is far better at wiring thean i am.

No problem. I'll see if I can come up with anything better now that I'm at work.

• Members

As KF said...I'd check for continuity on the wire from the tach to the coil. If it stops at the EEC, then check continuity there too. You want to make sure a mouse or something didn't chew through the wire since it has sat so long. This is very possible.

Short of that, it's either a bad tach, or a bad coil (the coil can still work without sending a signal to the tach, depending on the type of connection that is there.) It could also be the connector ON the coil. There should be 2, 3 or 4 wires on the coil. One of those is your tach wire.

But really, the first step is checking continuity. Let us know man!

Archived