What do you think of carbon glass/graphite necks?

insurrection

• Members

Specifically the Parker fly series and I think dean may have dabbled in it for a while, I don't know of any others buuuut... Tell me what you think, no local music stores here have one I could play

Washburn made some guitars using the Parker neck technology.

I personally think they are amazing.

• Members

Washburn made some guitars using the Parker neck technology.

I personally think they are amazing.

Washburn owns the Parker line now. They bought it several years ago.

That said, I own an original Park Fly Classic. I love the neck, thin and wide, SS frets. Bare in mind I like thin necks, I have two Ibanez Wizzards as well, love them too!

• Members

CF is a great stable material! Gotta have the SS frets on a CF neck, as refrets are difficult, and making them is a toxic mess but at least a tree doesn't die directly. Vigiers currently use no truss rod, just a big CF spar internally, which can complicate radical setup changes.

• Members

had a modulus graphite neck alvarez once.

was 20 years old or so if I remember. played like {censored}ing butter, completely straight, had a good sound.

That is about all I can say about it. Graphite is far superior to wood in just about every way (except tonally, that is purely opinion-based), as far as structure goes.

• Members

CF is a great stable material! Gotta have the SS frets on a CF neck, as refrets are difficult, and making them is a toxic mess but at least a tree doesn't die directly. Vigiers currently use no truss rod, just a big CF spar internally, which can complicate radical setup changes.

I could give a {censored} about the trees, i was wondering about fretted high gain devastation

• Members

I had one of those Parker SA Flys with the maple neck and carbon fiber board. board and frets felt great but it was the thinnest sounding guitar ever produced in the history of stringed instruments with zero sustain. I don't think it had anything to do with the neck. I think it was a combo of the really thin ash body and a trem block the size of a matchbook.

• Members

There's a big difference between Parker-type necks that have a wood core skinned with composite and Modulus-type necks that are all composite.

I think the Parker design sound better to me, but the all-composite ones are more stable and totally eliminate dead spots, which is more of an issue on basses than guitars.

Archived