What to ditch my HRDx for?

jrcorp

• Members

:facepalm:

I bought a used MIA model a few years ago for $160, and upgraded the tubes, speaker, and jacks for a total of about $300 into the amp. It's sat in the garage for awhile as I don't have a use for it. I have a modded Crate V5 that suits my bedroom practice/tube needs, and a Vox AD30VT that's been handy too. My only music project for the last few years has been messing around making hip-hop beats with a friend, which isn't ideal but I've had fun. Apart from that, I played an open mic once or twice with a friend on acoustic using my V5.

This was my first (mostly) tube amp, and though I've enjoyed it I just don't need it. I've considered selling it for awhile now - if I returned it to stock I could probably make a little profit. I've also wanted something in the realm of 15W to give me clean tube tone at slightly higher volume for recording or another open mic if that happens. I could dive into modding this amp but I doubt I'd get back anything more I put in. I could scrap what's there and try wiring up something myself, but again that would cost me and I have enough projects around to keep me busy.

I figure I'll return the amp to stock, sell it and maybe the upgrades, and look around. What do you think would suit my needs better? I wish I could afford an AC15, there was a silverface Champ locally for around $250, I'm not sure I dig the Pro/Blues Jr.'s for what I would pay for one... ?!

• Members

So apparently the Blues Junior isn't as bad as I thought. I also like the Crate V1512 and V16 Palomino, possibly a V18 or VC20 for the right price.

I'm also trying to figure out how to go about a 5E3. I'm not familiar enough with "vintage" tube amps, but I feel like from what I've heard a traditional Deluxe would suit me well right now. Kits seem out of my budget, the Weber "So Watt" seems about right, and I doubt I could piece anything comparable to kit quality on my own. I think I would try making my own head cab and either getting a speaker cab cheap or eventually making one. With the 10% discount off kits, I could get the head kit for a little over $300 or the So Watt for a little over $200. Figure in a little cash for tubes, extra components to tweak things with, and materials for a cabinet, and I'm about even if I build my own or still around $100 ahead with the Chinese build.

• Members

There's a Bedrock 600 up for sale at a local GC? I could potentially break even if I sell the Hot Rod stock.

I played one of these at another GC awhile back and don't remember what I thought about it. Unfortunately for the money, I don't feel comfortable with the idea of owning one as there's little chance of being able to work on the amp with the company long gone and not much info online.

Archived