Just bought an SM-57

Mike LX-R

• Members

I hate it when I have my guitarist hat on and think it's fine when I'm mixing after I've muted all the other tracks I thought I needed to record to overcome the percieved weakness of the mic.

yeah something like that.

Whatever gets the job done, you're right. It's just that my job is a bit different.

I dislike the fact that it acts like a sort of really harsh filter on the guitar sound. Thus, it minimizes the subtle nuances between various gear recorded through it (that's what I use it for).. like amps, guitars, pickups, etc. It just has a sound of its own and it doesn't capture tonal complexities of anything that's not high gain. However, since this SOUND is soooo industry standard, very quick and comfortable to work with.. anything else but praising sm57 is peeing against the wind :lol:

• Members

However, this thread is an excellent example of the power of placebo.

I don't think that's fair actually. All I see is someone who isn't prepared to listen to the idea that they might sound different. Personally, I think any situation where I use one I'd have been fine with the other. But if someone else thinks one sounds a little better for one source than the other, I'm not gonna argue with them.

• Members

I don't think that's fair actually. All I see is someone who isn't prepared to listen to the idea that they might sound different. Personally, I think any situation where I use one I'd have been fine with the other. But if someone else thinks one sounds a little better for one source than the other, I'm not gonna argue with them.

Re-read the first post. Went from completely unhappy to hallelujah. Placebo.

• Members

Re-read the first post. Went from completely unhappy to hallelujah. Placebo.

I may have to start phrasing everything in legalese. I'll just chalk it up to this forum not knowing me well enough yet.

I hear minute differences. You mean to tell me that the smallest tweak hasn't made significant differences to you and your sound? Surely you've been dissatisfied with something that others would have considered negligible differences, and yes I'm sure you were happy about it even if yours were the only ears that cared.

• Members
congratulations on getting the most overrated piece of {censored} microphone in the history of music
:o

flame suit on
:)

Just because you were given 2 less vertebrae in the neck doesn't mean you should be so angry with Shure bro. It's hardly noticeable.

• Members

My admittedly insane take on it all is that if you think you hear a difference for the better, then great! That's all there is to it. Music is all relative, it's art, it's perception, if you're making something and you think it sounds better now then that's all that matters. The science of perception/ reality/ specs has a place but it's not the key to understanding in this world.

• Members

My admittedly insane take on it all is that if you think you hear a difference for the better, then great! That's all there is to it. Music is all relative, it's art, it's perception, if you're making something and you think it sounds better now then that's all that matters. The science of perception/ reality/ specs has a place but it's not the key to understanding in this world.

I agree. I'm still gonna try taking the cover off the SM58 and have no problem admitting imagined differences which is fine anyway because I do need two mics.

• Members

Could you tell the difference by using both mics at the same time two record two on to two different tracks but aimed at the same source with the same type and length mic cable - play back both tracks - one of the tracks 180 degrees out of phase and is what you hear a rough example of the frequency differences between the two mics?

• Members

Could you tell the difference by using both mics at the same time two record two on to two different tracks but aimed at the same source with the same type and length mic cable - play back both tracks - one of the tracks 180 degrees out of phase and is what you hear a rough example of the frequency differences between the two mics?

1: I currently don't have the capability to do so

2: It would be fun to experiment though

3: I don't need to prove myself right (or wrong for that matter), that bad

If I have two of the same mic and was just ignorant to that fact than so be it.

• Members

1: I currently don't have the capability to do so

2: It would be fun to experiment though

3: I don't need to prove myself right (or wrong for that matter), that bad

If I have two of the same mic and was just ignorant to that fact than so be it.

I understand, I was just thinking it might be fun to do just to see. Personally, I don't have the best ears in the world but it sure seemed to me that there was a difference between the two mics but it could be that I just thought I heard a difference or there was some other variable in play.

• Members

I understand, I was just thinking it might be fun to do just to see. Personally, I don't have the best ears in the world but it sure seemed to me that there was a difference between the two mics but it could be that I just
thought
I heard a difference or there was some other variable in play.

These guys seem to think i'm just thinking i'm hearing a difference. They're probably right... they have lots of posts and senior/hall of fame statuses. :thu:

• Members

Just because you were given 2 less vertebrae in the neck doesn't mean you should be so angry with Shure bro. It's hardly noticeable.

Despite the the fact that you have 2 less chromosomes, you're quite right.. I should control my emotions. Probably took you a while to conceive this immense thought, I appreciate it.

• Members

Despite the the fact that you have 2 less chromosomes, you're quite right.. I should control my emotions. Probably took you a while to conceive this immense thought, I appreciate it.

It's alright man, i'm the idiot who thought I was hearing differences from the same mics.

• Members

Only here would this thread go like this..

Yes they are the same mics, different shape.. They don't sound the same because of that.. I've a/b'd the two mics and the 57 is better on guitar cabs than the 58.. in the end they sound different.. I'll go so far as to say that mics of the same model sound different too.. I have 4 57's and two of them have enough of a difference that I prefer them for all my guitar micing.. So even if you want to say they are the same, the fact is mics can differ between the same model, at least I have noticed it with 57's.. Also I'll see guys who tape the grill back on a 57 because it got knocked off from a drum stick hit.. That little bit of tape drastically changes the sound of the miC. So that there is a prime example on how the grill can affect sound..

I also have the beta 57 and beta 56.. AS far as the info I've gathered, they are exactly the same, but in a different housing.. I like them both a lot.. I can not get them to sound identical. And I've tried because I did want to convince myself they should be able to sound the same.. They don't, and sound plenty different.. Now they are a bit more drastic difference in the housing between them, but that only goes to show that despite mics having the same components, the small differences do make a difference and I simply don't see the need for some of you to get worked up over something and try to make it out to be like the guy bought the same Mic as the one he had..

• Members

Only here would this thread go like this..

Yes they are the same mics, different shape.. They don't sound the same because of that.. I've a/b'd the two mics and the 57 is better on guitar cabs than the 58.. in the end they sound different.. I'll go so far as to say that mics of the same model sound different too.. I have 4 57's and two of them have enough of a difference that I prefer them for all my guitar micing.. So even if you want to say they are the same, the fact is mics can differ between the same model, at least I have noticed it with 57's.. Also I'll see guys who tape the grill back on a 57 because it got knocked off from a drum stick hit.. That little bit of tape drastically changes the sound of the miC. So that there is a prime example on how the grill can affect sound..

I also have the beta 57 and beta 56.. AS far as the info I've gathered, they are exactly the same, but in a different housing.. I like them both a lot.. I can not get them to sound identical. And I've tried because I did want to convince myself they should be able to sound the same.. They don't, and sound plenty different.. Now they are a bit more drastic difference in the housing between them, but that only goes to show that despite mics having the same components, the small differences do make a difference and I simply don't see the need for some of you to get worked up over something and try to make it out to be like the guy bought the same Mic as the one he had..

The difference I heard was just validated by a Hall of Fame Member. Thanks!

• Members

...beta 56...

How do you find that? I had one for vocals that I used when I was a singing drummer because being right angled it stayed out of the way of my sticks. Hated it on everything else I tried though, was more pingy and cheap sounding than even the sm57.

• Members

Hey Mike disregard all the BS you are catching here. They have a lot of identical parts but they do not sound the same therefore they aren't the same. I have used and own mics from $50 mics all the way up to $2k mics. I may use more than one mic on guitars but there is rarely an occasion where the SM57 isn't one of them. Happy new mic day!

• Members

That is such a minuscule difference that you would be hard pressed to hear it in an A/B

However, this thread is an excellent example of the power of placebo.

Wrong dude. Look at the charts again. There are spots where there is a lot more of a certain frequency like at 2k. Plus if you've ever tried them both side by side they sound noticeably different. Record a guitar and give it a boost at 2k of a few dB and tell me you can't hear that.

Archived