Eminence swamp things and 3-speaker cab question

flyingrhoads

• Members

Hey guys! It's been a good few months since I've really been on here, but I'm back! Anyway, I've got a Randall cab with 3 speakers (2x12 & 1x15) and im about to buy two swamp thangs.

The issue is that right now all three speakers in the cab are each 16ohm and it's all wired in parallel so it comes to be like 5.3 ohms, and I'd like to rewire it after getting the new speakers to be 16ohms. To do that I'd need to get one 8ohm and one 16, and run the 16 and the remaining 15" in parallel, and then in series with the other 12" for a total of 16.

My question is: will wiring one 12" in parallel with the 15" and in series with the other 12 cause any noticeable volume differences between the two 12" speakers because of the different wiring configurations? If its just a minuscule amount I won't give a damn, but I'm just wanting to be sure before I do it.

• Members

I would run the 2x12 with 16ohm speakers in parallel for 8ohms and run those in series with a 8ohm 15 in the bottom for 16 ohms in the cab. Your other option is to run two 8 ohms 12 inch speakers in series for 16 ohms and run those parallel with a 16 ohm 15 inch speaker for 8 total ohms.

• Members

That's just a big mess. Do you need to run your amp at 16? If your amp has a 4 or 8 ohm selector, running 5.3 is fine for both. The reason the speakers are all in parallel is so that they blend together properly. If you series any of them (unbalance), you will get a very crappy speaker imbalance and you will want to throw your cab out the window.

• Members

Hey guys! It's been a good few months since I've really been on here, but I'm back! Anyway, I've got a Randall cab with 3 speakers (2x12 & 1x15) and im about to buy two swamp thangs.

The issue is that right now all three speakers in the cab are each 16ohm and it's all wired in parallel so it comes to be like 5.3 ohms, and I'd like to rewire it after getting the new speakers to be 16ohms. To do that I'd need to get one 8ohm and one 16, and run the 16 and the remaining 15" in parallel, and then in series with the other 12" for a total of 16.

My question is: will wiring one 12" in parallel with the 15" and in series with the other 12 cause any noticeable volume differences between the two 12" speakers because of the different wiring configurations? If its just a minuscule amount I won't give a damn, but I'm just wanting to be sure before I do it.

just replace speakers with same ohm rating, wired the same way.

• Members

I want the cab to be 16 ohms so I can pair it my Marshall cab for a full stack. I really don't want to have to replace the 15" speaker, that's why I was curious if anything would sound whack by just getting the two different ohm 12's and wiring it up the other way. For the sake of my sound quality it looks like I'm going to have to just replace all three damn things though, unless anyone has a 15" 8ohm speaker they'd like to trade me for my 16 ohm Legend? :cop:

Archived