Question about Marshall Modefour cabs

Nick H

• Members

So I ordered two Marshall Modefour cabs a while ago and the other day, ups brought me the first one. Its the angled version with the marshall/celestion 70watt vintage 30s (MF280A). So far I eally like the tone, except when you stand in front of it with the speakers directly facing you, the sound becomes really thin and harsh. Im not sure why its doing this, as it sounds great from all other angles, but I have no clue what the issue is. Is that just the way the speakers sound on low volumes? I have tried adjusting the eq on my amp, but nothing has yielded results.

Your advice anyone?

• Members

That's normal with V30s. Try to EQ your amp to sound good when you are right in front of it (probably less treble in the amp) since that's what a mic will pick up. Then just deal with the sound difference when you are somewhere else in the room.

Once you crank it up you will notice less of a difference, but yeah V30s are not meant to be played at low volumes.

• Members

That's normal with V30s. Try to EQ your amp to sound good when you are right in front of it (probably less treble in the amp) since that's what a mic will pick up. Then just deal with the sound difference when you are somewhere else in the room.

Once you crank it up you will notice less of a difference, but yeah V30s are not meant to be played at low volumes.

So theres not anything I can do to deal with the sound difference at low volumes?

• Members

Yeah that's what v30s sound like at bedroom levels standing right in front of them with most amps(but not mark iiis). V30s are meant to actually be used live and loud. Not a bedroom wanker speaker.

Thats more than the G12T-75s can say.

• Members

Duct tape over the centers of the speakers. Taping that foam drawer liner over em dampens em down too. I had a cab that was extremely bright... worse than 80's hairspray douchbag birght. Junk ass 75 watt celestions. The drawer liner made a big difference.

• Members

So I ordered two Marshall Modefour cabs a while ago and the other day, ups brought me the first one. Its the angled version with the marshall/celestion 70watt vintage 30s (MF280A). So far I eally like the tone, except when you stand in front of it with the speakers directly facing you, the sound becomes really thin and harsh. Im not sure why its doing this, as it sounds great from all other angles, but I have no clue what the issue is. Is that just the way the speakers sound on low volumes? I have tried adjusting the eq on my amp, but nothing has yielded results.

Your advice anyone?

Hey Nick- last week someone posted about turning the cab on its side to make the sound go horizontal instead of vertical. Might could help...

• Members

Duct tape over the centers of the speakers. Taping that foam drawer liner over em dampens em down too. I had a cab that was extremely bright... worse than 80's hairspray douchbag birght. Junk ass 75 watt celestions. The drawer liner made a big difference.

I tried that and thought it dulled down the cab in a bad way. I also tried the Weber reflectors and did not like them either. The best solution is just turn the amp up!! :rawk:

• Members

Hey Nick- last week someone posted about turning the cab on its side to make the sound go horizontal instead of vertical. Might could help...

Im pretty sure thats not actually changing the sound, just how you hear it by projecting it in a different direction. Still might be a solution tho.

• Members

You mean put tape on the grill cloth or inside the baffle?

• Members

Yeah, this is jusT how it is.. But I also disagree with those who say that's how your tone really sounds and what a Mic hears.. That's just not true.. I can Mic an amp that has a really bright room sound and make it sound dark by Mic placement. When you are standing right in front you are hearing the most highs.. And that's typically from the very center of the speaker.. The only people who are hearing that sound are the ones directly in front of your cab.. Most people will be hearing an off axis tone, which is the tone we all typically like better..

Same thing with Mic'ing a cab. Just because it sounds bright when you are standing in a spot that is shooting the highs more directly in your ears, that doesn't mean that that is what the Mic will pick up unless you put the Mic in the spot that is the brightest! Move the Mic a little away from the dust cap and the sound will sound more like it does when you are standing off to the side..

Archived