Recommend me a PA for kick drum and vocals.

soilent

• Members

I need a PA for band practice. Pretty much the only thing we will need it for is vocals and triggering the kick drum. We will have two guitar player and we like to play pretty loud. So, what kind of PA should I get and how many watts?

• Members

does it have to be a massive bassy kick? otherwise a pair of 12" 300watt actives would be the go, especially if they have mic pres in them, then you can use one for the kick and one for the vox.

There's got to be a little bit of bass, but really I'm just looking for something that will be able to handle the low end at loud volumes and be able to cut through the mix at practice volume.

• Members

You would be truly shocked at how little bass you need in the kick to get it to have nice bass but cut through the mix. We run a single 350watt 15" powered 2way through a desk, slice about 1db off the kicks HPF and give about 7db boost to the 6000hz. And the kick can be too much if we want.

• Members

I'm just not sure what to go with without spending a bunch of money. They last band had a Yamaha 1000w 2-15 system, so power was never an issue. Now, I just want something as small and cheap as possible that will actually get the job done well.

• Members

I'm just not sure what to go with without spending a bunch of money. They last band had a Yamaha 1000w 2-15 system, so power was never an issue. Now, I just want something as small and cheap as possible that will actually get the job done well.

You are obviously gunna get what you pay for man, but if its just kick and vox 2x200watt powered speakers will get you there.

• Members
You are obviously gunna get what you pay for man, but if its just kick and vox 2x200watt powered speakers will get you there.

I would add a small sub to that to handle the resonant frequency of the triggered sub if they really want to feel it and not just hear it.

• Members

Okay, I will consider these options. Anyone else have any suggestions? I found some old (like 1980s) Peavey stuff on Craigslist. Any thoughts on that? Peavey has always made solid stuff, I just don't know about getting something that old.

Archived