Small combo amp to rival sound of Mesa Stiletto

NeverTheMachine

• Members

Looking for a high-end ultra small practice amp (like Champ size).

With similar versatile, EL-34 sound to the Mesa, and preferably with reverb too. I don't need too many sub-channels (crunch, lead, blues,etc.) , but definitely two main (dirt/clean) channels.

I'm not really narrowing in on a price-range yet. THis is for down the road, so anything goes. I'm just trying get a sense of what to look for.

As far as I know, the Express 5:25 is the smallest Mesa. I have a 5:50 head, it's nice but not as nice as the STiletto IMO. I prefer the punchy, immediate sound of EL-34's.

• Members

Honestly, no low-wattage combo is going to sound like a high-wattage head playing through a closed-back cabinet. It's just physics. Not that a low-wattage combo can't sound good in its own right, but if you're looking to duplicate the sound of your Stiletto head and (I'm assuming) a 4x12 cabinet, you're going to be seriously disappointed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Honestly, no low-wattage combo is going to sound like a high-wattage head playing through a closed-back cabinet. It's just physics. Not that a low-wattage combo can't sound good in its own right, but if you're looking to duplicate the sound of your Stiletto head and (I'm assuming) a 4x12 cabinet, you're going to be seriously disappointed.

It's the Ace combo. I want it to sound like a combo, and "smaller" and more compressed I guess.

I've done some research. The Bogner duende is sort of what I'm looking for. Two channels. It has reverb as well. Expensive of course, but I'm dying to try one. The 40lbs is about my max.

The Evil Robot (Tone Monster) seems pretty sweet as well. No reverb, but I'm probably a little picky with the reverb anyway.

I'll keep looking. I don't have the money or the skills to justify such a purchase yet, but you never know.

• Members

It's the Ace combo. I want it to sound like a combo, and "smaller" and more compressed I guess.

I've done some research. The Bogner duende is sort of what I'm looking for. Two channels. It has reverb as well. Expensive of course, but I'm dying to try one. The 40lbs is about my max.

The Evil Robot (Tone Monster) seems pretty sweet as well. No reverb, but I'm probably a little picky with the reverb anyway.

I'll keep looking. I don't have the money or the skills to justify such a purchase yet, but you never know.

Jimmy looks like he's horrified because he pissed his pants and his guitar is on a table in front of him.

Archived