Any plumbers in the house?

Crunchtime

• Members

I have a problem with my basement floor drain. It seems plugged and the drain basin is pretty rusty. I feel the drain is plugged with rust. I fished out a bunch of rusty crumbs with a magnet.

The problem is I can't get in the drain more than a few inches because it has a ball float restricting my access. I was going to open the clean-out plug but it's rusted and I'm worried if I force it I could damage something.

Even if I get the plug out I could only ream the drain. I fear the buildup just layed in the trap due to it being metal and this drain sees little flow.

The only water it is seeing is drip-page from my AC coil. I rerouted that pipe from the drain to a 5 gal bucket for now. The bucket easily lasts over a day. So, my only {censored}ing at this point would be if my water heater blew up.

Any suggestions? I know. I should call a pro but that {censored} ain't cheap.

• Members

it's rusted and I'm worried if I force it I could damage something.

Any suggestions? I know. I should call a pro but that {censored} ain't cheap.

what you said right there is why i hate plumbing. Seems rare to be able to replace one little thing. Too often it turns into a major exercise.

{censored} plumbing. just had entire drain system in house replaced. you right. {censored} ain't cheap & I knew a guy.

• Members

If you know you can make it a few days, call and schedule an appointment. "Emergency visits" are a ton more expensive. Don't flush anything but toilet paper and waste. No condoms, no tissues, no tampons, nothin. You have old pipes and all that {censored} can snag on it. The plumber will clear roots and everything out with a chopper and you should be good.

might wanna run to home depot and grab some hard core root killer / drain cleaner as well. But i wouldn't do it til after the plumber has been there.

• Members

If you know you can make it a few days, call and schedule an appointment. "Emergency visits" are a ton more expensive. Don't flush anything but toilet paper and waste. No condoms, no tissues, no tampons, nothin. You have old pipes and all that {censored} can snag on it. The plumber will clear roots and everything out with a chopper and you should be good.

might wanna run to home depot and grab some hard core root killer / drain cleaner as well. But i wouldn't do it til after the plumber has been there.

Everything else in the house drains perfect that's why I think it's just the trap on this drain. As long as I drain my bucket daily or don't run the AC there is no immediate emergency.

In fact, I'm super anal about my drains and have strainers in all my sinks and the tub too.

• Members

Everything else in the house drains perfect that's why I think it's just the trap on this drain. As long as I drain my bucket daily or don't run the AC there is no immediate emergency.

In fact, I'm
super anal about my drains
and have strainers in all my sinks and the tub too.

ha!

• Members

It's probably a trap seal of some sort you have there, or possibly a backwater valve.

Is the rust building up to the point that it's clogging, or is just slowing down? What's the piping material made of? Can you remove the strainer and acutally see into the pipe?

• Members

Sounds like a cast iron version of one of these:

floor-drain-cleanout-lg.gif

I'd have a plumber snake it with a camera to see if the actual pipe is in good condition. If that's the case then you'd be looking at him breaking up a little concrete and tossing on a few Fernco fittings and a new drain. If it looks bad, oh boy.................:(

• Members

I'd have a plumber snake it with a camera to see if the actual pipe is in good condition. If that's the case then you'd be looking at him breaking up a little concrete and tossing on a few Fernco fittings and a new drain. If it looks bad, oh boy.................
:(

Cant bury Fernco's by any code I've ever read.

• Members

You can use the shielded ones here in KS I believe.

It's got to be a 4 band husky... Even then, some inspectors don't like to see them buried.

Even so, I'd try fixing what's causing the problem before you go replacing stuff.

• Members

If you can get water to stand in the drain just use a plunger and plunge it. After the drain is plunged take a 5 gal bucket of water and flush it out

That backflow preventer is for if you were to have a flood from the outside in.

That won't do much. The transference of hydraulic force will be greatly diminished because the backflow is in the way. You could also damage the backflow, which will open a whole new set of problems.

• Members

I'd have a plumber snake it with a camera to see if the actual pipe is in good condition. If that's the case then you'd be looking at him breaking up a little concrete and tossing on a few Fernco fittings and a new drain. If it looks bad, oh boy.................
:(

This seems to be the exact type of drain. Can't see in pipe due to ball float. Looking for my offset pipe wrench to get on plug, it's right next to staircase and tight fit. Can't tell material of drain due to rust so I'm thinking cast iron.

• Members

Yes the cleanout plug seems rusted. I tried with a cresent wrench and the corners are just rounding. I have a offset pipe wrench but can't seem to find it right now. I may spray the plug with some penetrating oil daily for a c few days and see what happens.

• Members

Yes the cleanout plug seems rusted. I tried with a cresent wrench and the corners are just rounding. I have a offset pipe wrench but can't seem to find it right now. I may spray the plug with some penetrating oil daily for a c few days and see what happens.

A lot of times, you have to chisel those off. Just be careful not to damage the fitting, because the plug itself is easily replaceable, but the fitting, not so much.

Now, where is this cleanout in relation to the floor drain? If it downstream of it, this will help you locate where the blockage is.

• Members

A lot of times, you have to chisel those off. Just be careful not to damage the fitting, because the plug itself is easily replaceable, but the fitting, not so much.

Now, where is this cleanout in relation to the floor drain? If it downstream of it, this will help you locate where the blockage is.

I'll take a pic.

• Members

Ugh... the drain pipe from my kitchen sink broke a few days ago. Now the sink drains into my basement...
:facepalm:

That happened to me a few weeks ago. Hella cheap, I read the reviews on Yellow for plumbers, and this bloke came and charged me only $100 to fix it (and that included a new drain/plughole).

• Members

Well the only thing you can really do is pop that clean out off, and then go from there. If that cleanout is downstream of the floor drain, and water comes out when you pop it open, the obviously theres a blockage past the cleanout. If it's downstream and nothing comes out when you pop it, then theres probably something wrong witht hat check/ ball assembly.

Can you move that check/ball assembly freely?

Archived