6v6 Tubes

Mikoo69

• Members

Hi,

I have been using NOS Brimar 6v6s in my original 65 Deluxe Reverb for 6 years. Thinking it's time to swap out the tubes since I've been playing on them for over 1000 hours and i get a feeling they aren't sounding as good as they used to.

Unfortunately the price of Brimars from KCA has gone up to $140. There is a matched pair on eBay for $70...should i be worried about the ones from eBay?

Finally, is there a cheaper new tube brand I should look into? I love the Brimars, mainly because I don't get too much of that upper treble/ice-pick sound with them. They are not too bright, and I love that. Any other recommendations?

• Members

are JJs on the darker side or brighter side? i love the brimars because they are pretty dark (very little ice-pick treble with my start, unlike many other amps I try)

Sounds like you would like the JJ's. JJ's are known for being a bit darker than other tubes.

• Members

Speaking of KCA, you might want to give Mike a call and see what he thinks. He knows Fenders!

Hi,

I have been using NOS Brimar 6v6s in my original 65 Deluxe Reverb for 6 years. Thinking it's time to swap out the tubes since I've been playing on them for over 1000 hours and i get a feeling they aren't sounding as good as they used to.

Unfortunately the price of Brimars from KCA has gone up to $140. There is a matched pair on eBay for $70...should i be worried about the ones from eBay?

Finally, is there a cheaper new tube brand I should look into? I love the Brimars, mainly because I don't get too much of that upper treble/ice-pick sound with them. They are not too bright, and I love that. Any other recommendations?

• Members

Speaking of KCA, you might want to give Mike a call and see what he thinks. He knows Fenders!

Yup -- Mike knows his stuff when it comes to Fenders and tubes in general.

The JJ 6v6's are a good sounding tube -- stronger midrange that other 6v6's I've tried and slightly darker.

Archived