NAD! Laney content

spawnofthesith

• Members

Just picked up a 1996 Laney GH100L for $400. Can't say a whole ton on the tone yet as its later now and I can't crank mapz. But it sounded pretty shweet at the guys place. Will give better comments on it tomorrow. And take better pictures Anyone have a link to that thread wher Billy explains the art of dialing in Laneys?

178343_10200240612117081_253669128_o.jpg

• Members

Just spent the last few minutes playing it at lower volumes with P94 loaded guitar, and damn... :love: has an amazing sound crunch to it (especially with the P90 type pickups). Gets along great with my green rhino as well. Can't wait to get more into this thing tomorrow

• Members

how do you know if its a 1996????? mine is old(no clue how old) and it doesnt have a light up power switch like the newer ones......always wondered about how old mine is.......

BTW ive always had great tonez with both the gain and drive matched, 7-7 is a great starting point, get off more than 1 1/2 nubers each and i never liked it.......oh and a EQ in the loop does WONDERS!!!!

• Members

im just not that good at dating them, all i know is mine is pre 04(when i bought it used on ebay) and i havent seen one with a non light up switch in a LOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time, but COngrats on yr purchase man, youll like it, mine hasnt had a problem at all, if you want, pull the outside 2 tubes an you got yr self a great 50/60 watter(depends on el34/6l6)( had mine running like that for 6+ years)

• Members

im just not that good at dating them, all i know is mine is pre 04(when i bought it used on ebay) and i havent seen one with a non light up switch in a LOOOOONNNNNGGGGG time, but COngrats on yr purchase man, youll like it, mine hasnt had a problem at all, if you want, pull the outside 2 tubes an you got yr self a great 50/60 watter(depends on el34/6l6)( had mine running like that for 6+ years)

Nice. How does this amp sound with 6L6s? I'm more of a EL34 guy in general, so I don't know if it would be worth it for me to try 'em

• Members

i honestly cant say, ive had 6l6s for so long in it i dont remember what it sounded like with el34s, but ive liked the sound of 6l6s this long, has a great bottom you dont normally find in a english amp, different but now so that you cant tell its british, just have to try it an see for yr self haha sorry im not much help there.

• Members

how do you know if its a 1996????? mine is old(no clue how old) and it doesnt have a light up power switch like the newer ones......always wondered about how old mine is.......

There's a dated inspection tag on the inside of the chassis. :thu:

• Members

Good score, they're great amps :thu:

Laneys get pretty bright pretty quick, so it's often a decent idea to keep the treble and presence controls fairly low. I tend to keep the presence almost all the way down and dial the treble in to taste. I also pretty much dime the mids on mine (GH100TI), as it gets a really nice fat crunch with lots of mids in there.

• Members

Good score, they're great amps
:thu:

Laneys get pretty bright pretty quick, so it's often a decent idea to keep the treble and presence controls fairly low. I tend to keep the presence almost all the way down and dial the treble in to taste. I also pretty much dime the mids on mine (GH100TI), as it gets a really nice fat crunch with lots of mids in there.

Cool, thanks for the tip!

• Members

My trick to dial in the Laney is to start the treble and presence at 0 and then gradually starts to bring the treble up. As soon as your tone has JUST enough bite, stop . It will probably be a very low setting. Then I set the presence at -1 from the master volume ex... Master on 3/Presence on 2, Master on 5/Presence on 4 etc...

The Gain and Drive knobs work together but will shape the distortion differently depending on how you set them. High Gain/Low Drive setting will give you a rounder, fatter tone. Low Gain/High Drive with be brighter and tighter. You can get a lot of middle of the road combinations too. Despite the fact this is a single channel amp, it's extremely versatile, you can get a whole bunch of different tones from it.

• Members

Another good tip is to try it through loads of different speakers and cabs.

Although i've never found a cab that my old GH50l didnt like, i prefered it through Marshall 1960 cabs and also the Framus Dragon 4x12. Found it quite bright through Orange cabs (both the PPC212 and 4x12), some people might like that though.

• Members

Also, whilst the amp is technically single channel, you can normally get pretty good results setting it up like a dual channel amp with clean and dirty. It depends on the output of your pickups whether the respective clean/dirty volumes will be well matched though.

Yeah, the gain switch seems to make enough of a difference that it seems like two channels almost

• Members

What I really like about the Laney GH series amps is that A) They have incredibly clean power amps, and B) they have great effects loops. I struggle running delays with a lot of amps, because even an effects loop can't save your delay sounds if the power amp is mushing up at high volume. The Laneys just stay nice and clean pretty much all the way up.

They've got massive amounts of volume on tap too. That amp you've just bought will be one of the loudest 100 watt heads you'll ever play through. Brilliant tone at bargain basement prices (on the used market), I've never understood why they aren't more popular.

• Members

Also, whilst the amp is technically single channel, you can normally get pretty good results setting it up like a dual channel amp with clean and dirty. It depends on the output of your pickups whether the respective clean/dirty volumes will be well matched though.

Not only that, but this amp also cleans up extremely well when you roll down the guitar volume. I am currently using the amp without a footswitch and using a volume pedal to go from clean to OD. It works really well.

• Members

Well I've played it at cranked volumes quite a bit today, and all I can say is, wow :love:

In the HELL is an amp this good sounding going for only $400 used? These are seriously criminally underrated.

Like you guys said, this thing is versatile as hell. I dialed in awesome tone after awesome tone, ranging the full gain spectrum. And it plays great with my pedals. The loop is {censored}ing fantastic, only amp I think I've had with a comparable loop was the Mark V, and I feel this thing has even more clarity than that. Gettin some real nasty tones with my EQD Hoof set kind of as a boost into the amp dialed in slightly broken up :evil:

Archived