What is the best way to wire Bass speakers into my cab?

Nick H

• Members

So I got ahold of a pair of 300 watt/8ohm Bass speakers for cheap. I tried them out awhile ago, just by wiring them into one of my cabs (both in series, replacing one 16ohm speaker) but without actually putting it into the cab, and I actually liked the tone alot.

Now im trying to put the pair in one of my modefour cabs (which has 16ohm speakers, I believe), but Im not really sure of the best way to wire the cab. My amps can run at 4,8 or 16 ohms.

Also, is putting Bass speakers in a guitar cab really a good idea? Like I said, I tried it, but they werent actually in the cab.

Thanks, Nick.

• Members
So I got ahold of a pair of 300 watt/8ohm Bass speakers for cheap. I tried them out awhile ago, just by wiring them into one of my cabs (both in series, replacing one 16ohm speaker) but without actually putting it into the cab, and I actually liked the tone alot.

Now im trying to put the pair in one of my modefour cabs (which has 16ohm speakers, I believe), but Im not really sure of the best way to wire the cab. My amps can run at 4,8 or 16 ohms.

Also, is putting Bass speakers in a guitar cab really a good idea? Like I said, I tried it, but they werent actually in the cab.

Thanks, Nick.

no matter what, you will wind up with an oddball impedance. Also, the bass speakers probably are nearly as loud, especially in the "guitar" frequencies so they will probably kind of disappear.

• Members

so you want to put these speakers in place of two of the speakers already in the cab, and then run all 4?

no way to wire it 'correctly' and get 4, 8, or 16 ohms.

Doesn't the modefour cab have V30's in it?

Why do you think the bass speakers would be an improvement?

• Members

so you want to put these speakers in place of two of the speakers already in the cab, and then run all 4?

no way to wire it 'correctly' and get 4, 8, or 16 ohms.

Doesn't the modefour cab have V30's in it?

Why do you think the bass speakers would be an improvement?

Yeah, it does have V30s in it. Im not sure it would be an improvement, but the Bass speakers did sound somewhat cool. Not as loud though, as posted above.

It shouldnt matter that much if I end up with like a 20ohm total load and run the amp on 16, right?

And plus, if I put a slightly higher load on the bass speakers than is labeled, wouldnt that bump up the volume a little? Or is that an unsafe practice?

Archived