Ernie Ball Cobalt strings

Nick H

• Members

So I tried some EB Cobalt strings today, and ive heard plenty of good reviews and hype around these strings, so I was ready to be blown away by their awesomeness. But unfortunately, I wasnt. They really just sounded to me like any other guitar string. I have tried the EB Nickel, Stainless Steel, Titanium and Cobalt strings, and honestly there isnt that much difference to speak of. The Cobalts are slightly brighter than the others, but not by that much. Other than that, there is no difference, all the harmonics and everything came out exactly the same. All the "higher output and clarity" nonsense is complete bull{censored}. Now Im not trying to say they suck, in fact all the EBs I have tried are quality, lasting, well made strings, but at $10 a set, the Cobalts just arent that much different enough to make them worth the money. The same goes with the titanium sets as well. I know that there are people who claim that there is a big difference in the strings, but my tale on that is they have simply been folled by EB's marketing placebo. Yes they are good strings, but the point of this review is to say that there are others that are just as good but half the price.

• Members

But I'll agree, there is no need to use them.. But I can tell a pretty distinct difference with the cobalt. That's not saying its a huge difference, but its there and its enough for me to prefer them over nickel coated

• Members

But I'll agree, there is no need to use them.. But I can tell a pretty distinct difference with the cobalt. That's not saying its a huge difference, but its there and its enough for me to prefer them over nickel coated

Yeah, with all the hype around them I expected a dramatic improvement, but it just wasnt there. :(

• Members

It might depend on your signal chain, I would think the difference in tone of the strings might be a lot easier to detect playing on a clean or slightly dirty sounding amp. Never tried them but I doubt they are as good as EB states they are.

• Members

So I tried some EB Cobalt strings today, and ive heard plenty of good reviews and hype around these strings, so I was ready to be blown away by their awesomeness. But unfortunately, I wasnt. They really just sounded to me like any other guitar string. I have tried the EB Nickel, Stainless Steel, Titanium and Cobalt strings, and honestly there isnt that much difference to speak of. The Cobalts are slightly brighter than the others, but not by that much. Other than that, there is no difference, all the harmonics and everything came out exactly the same. All the "higher output and clarity" nonsense is complete bull{censored}. Now Im not trying to say they suck, in fact all the EBs I have tried are quality, lasting, well made strings, but at $10 a set, the Cobalts just arent that much different enough to make them worth the money. The same goes with the titanium sets as well. I know that there are people who claim that there is a big difference in the strings, but my tale on that is they have simply been folled by EB's marketing placebo. Yes they are good strings, but the point of this review is to say that there are others that are just as good but half the price.

Paragraphs, learn how to use them

Archived