Marshall Amp recommendation

amt7565

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by madDdog67

View Post

Like a few other guys have mentioned, the JVM 410 will do any Marshall sound you need. Used they're going for about $1000 now, which is a steal. They do sound good at low volume, but when you get 'em up to about 3, holy GAWD. smile.gif. m/

Quoted for truth. When I go to the local GC I head for the JVM410 everytime. When I can afford one I am getting one! Even at low volume it gives great gain. And each channel has like three modes, even better hit a button green, orange and red. Is teh sex for me. Or is it just two????? I normally push it til its red...

--------------------------EDIT---------------------

Didn't notice the date the thread was started when I made my response. Sorry, and enjoy the JVM, I am really hoping to pull one off at some point.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sillypeoples

View Post

AMT -

Saw your thread...if you get the JVM PM me....I generally play at home/record as well...maybe I can steer you in a direction that might help you out...many are frustrated when they first get it....almost sold mine until I figured some things out....

This is very true. I only have the two channel, I like clean/crunch channel red mode with gain dimed. You really have to keep the gain down. In OD1 on orange I have the gain at like 9 oclock.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sillypeoples

View Post

AMT -

Saw your thread...if you get the JVM PM me....I generally play at home/record as well...maybe I can steer you in a direction that might help you out...many are frustrated when they first get it....almost sold mine until I figured some things out....

You bet Sillypeoples. Thanks for reaching out.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby

View Post

Amt is a killer player and the JVM is a damn fine choice for his style. He tried my old 2205 and 1987x and was shredding on the 2205 with ease. The JVM is superior to the 2205 in my opinion as it does what the 2205 does better and a whole lot more.

Oh thanks for your kind words Ricky! Thank you for letting me play your rig!

• Members

Thanks for everyone's valuable suggestions and comments.

Primarily looking for something that sounds great at low volumes, because I don't play in a band (not in the past 20 hears). I tried Ricky's rig and it played like butter, however the volumes were also pretty loud.

And never owned a Marshall before, so time to check that off the list smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bdubbs

View Post

Is your Mesa cab with Vintage 30s? I have a 2 channel JVM I picked up (I wanted an amp more present than my blackstar, blackstar sounds good but isn't in your face).

I really like it with the vintage 30s, there is some nice stuff about the 75s but you really start playing the control the highs game. With the vintage 30s they are rolled off enough you don't really need to worry about them.

bdubbs- no they are Black shadow Celestions, I just checked. You recommend the Vintages then? When the opportunity comes I will be getting a Marshall 2x12 cab.

• Members

I have a 2204 head (50W MV JCM800) and you can get some decent lower volume tone by using the low input, dime the master volume and adjust the preamp to taste. This is a clean sound at bedroom levels so you will need a distortion box for crunch.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by roland

View Post

I have a 2204 head (50W MV JCM800) and you can get some decent lower volume tone by using the low input, dime the master volume and adjust the preamp to taste. This is a clean sound at bedroom levels so you will need a distortion box for crunch.

Thanks. The JVM does break early though and that is why I am attracted to it. I am getting one tomorrow.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by amt7565

View Post

I made a 3 hour journey to acquire her and now I have her- the proud owner of a Marshall JVM410H. A dream come true.

She is now resting after the long journey and will be starting her first day on the job tomorrow...thumb.gif

HNAD. I Remember the day I bought mine.....

The transmision fell out of my truck a block from my house!mad.gif

The most important element of comedy? Timing!!!

• Members

So I have finally plugged her in and I am thrilled. Looks like I can put away my distortion pedals that have been my faithful companions since the dawn of....whenever!

I have her plugged into a Mesa 2x12 BS and it does sound a bit muddy though. I can notice the difference because when I purchased her, the original owner had her plugged into a 1960B the tones were a lot clearer and thicker.

Hence I will be slowly looking to get a 1960B when the opportunity arises.

• Members

I prefer the g12t75's myself. I posted a clip of the stock v30 in my jubilee vs the same settings through my 1960 w g12t75's. The v30 was definitely harsher and with a notched quality.

If you like the size of the Mesa cabinet you can probably find someone willing to trade you a set of g12t75's straight across for your v30's. At the very least you could easily find someone looking to trade a 1960 for your Mesa cab. 1960's are my favorite cabinets but they're not rare or have high resale icon_lol.gif Works out in your favor when buying used, since Mesa cabs have better resale.

• Members

Congrats! I enjoy the JVM410 despite its many detractors.

If you're hunting for new speakers do yourself a favor and try to find something loaded with T65s to try it through. They are the absolute perfect match for the JVM IMO and the old Marshall 1960s that came stock with them can sometimes be had for not much more than the modern ones.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by shane159

View Post

Take it to a tech if you have never done it. Any amp tech can bias an amp for cheap. There are also some good tutorial videos to show you how. Eurotubes.com has a good one.

+1

If you don't know anything about working on amps, don't open up yours. The stored voltages on the capacitors can make you really and truly DEAD, even when it's unplugged!!!

Archived