bass luthier question

grilldoo

• Members

i have a bone nut on one of my basses that buzzes with the A string. it also pops out if i strike it in the right way. basically, the space for the string is too wide. is there any material i can put in there to fix this, rather than get a new nut?

thanks,

dan

• Members

Best option is to get a new nut. Or you could try filling the slot with baking soda and superglue and recutting the slot, but its hard to get a nice smooth slot with that method. I would only attempt that if you have a proper nut slotting file. Also, this would only fix the width problem. It sounds like your slot may be too shallow as well, in that there isn't enough material to around the sides of the string to keep it from jumping out of the slot. To fix that. the nut would have to be shimmed up, and all the slots would need to be deepened. If that's the case, making a new nut is probably easier than doing all of that.

• Members

A new nut will be faster and easier. You'd be rescuplting so much of that existing nut to make it correct, then have to shim it up, which means reshaping the other strings' notches.

Also, as nice as it is to have a bone nut, a graphite nut is more reliable in its stability, behaves nicely, and lets your strings slip on them better when tuning. You won't have the winding marks that pop the string back and forth as you tune.

• Members

A new nut will be faster and easier. You'd be rescuplting so much of that existing nut to make it correct, then have to shim it up, which means reshaping the other strings' notches.

Also, as nice as it is to have a bone nut, a graphite nut is more reliable in its stability, behaves nicely, and lets your strings slip on them better when tuning. You won't have the winding marks that pop the string back and forth as you tune.

I agree. Tusq is also very nice, though it's not self lubricating like the graphtech..

• Members

Hold on...before you go replacing the nut, is your headstock straight (fender-style) or angled (Gibson-style)?

If it's straight, it's possible that you don't have enough downward pull on the headstock side of the A-string, which can cause the buzzing and the popping out of the nut slot.

If this is the case, try restringing the A and winding the string farther down the peg...this might fix the buzz problem, but you might also have to cut the nut slot a little deeper to permanently fix the popping out.

Archived