Botched wiring job on my Epi LP?

Hoople Head

• Members

I bought a mid-90s Epi LP Std off Ebay about 8 years ago. I really liked the feel, but the electronics were weak. Pickups were pretty average, pots were noisy, and the wires just looked fairly corroded.

A few years back, I got the genius idea that I would "learn" how to re-wire a guitar from scratch. I bought all new wires, pots, caps, jacks, and pickups from StewMac, along with soldering gear and figured I would just do it bit by bit. Long story short, I got frustrated and just put the thing away for a couple of years.

A few months ago, I took the guitar and parts to a local store to have their guy rewire it for me. I got the guitar back, and while everything looks alright, I am having some issues with the volume knobs.

1) In the 0 position, the bridge pickup isn't silent.

2) In the 0 position, the neck pickup is loud, but goes silent somewhere between .5 and 1., and then gets loud again as you dial it towards 10.

Does this sound like a botched job, or maybe are the pots for the volume knobs just shot? I used 500K pots, which I thought was the standard for an LP.

Should I take it back to the guy at the shop and ask him WTF, or is there anything I can try on my own?

• Members

Theres 2 ways to wire the volumes. One like most standard gibsons where one knob adjusted down with both pups on, will adjust the volume off for both when set to zero. The other way is like a Rickenbacker. Each volume can be turned off without affecting the other pup.

From your description in your case you can either have one improperly wired or have a bad pot.

Archived