VHT amps...

jrcorp

• Members

...that aren't the Special 6, Ultra, or high-gain - anyone have any experience, maybe some clips?

I discovered the Special 12/20 looking around for my next amp and while it looks great "on paper," there's not much if any information or reviews since they were released I believe nearly a year ago. The only YouTube videos I noticed are either from VHT or guitar magazines that I generally don't care to watch or listen to.

I had also looked into the Lead 20, but now I've found what seems like a deal on the Special. With being able to swap out tubes and the depth/texture rotary switches, I'm tempted to think it could possibly compare to the Tweaker. I've only seen 2-3 forumites posting about owning them, and I'd rather not buy before having a better idea of how they sound.

Thanks!

• Members

I have the Ultra 6, it's nothing special. The drive tones are alright. It gets pretty heavy. I'll sell it to you for cheap?

Did you ignore what I posted or make a funny? I'm familiar with the Special 6's but they don't suit me right now. I thought VHT had a good reputation based on the 6's, but maybe they're more of a cheap substitute for a better amp? I know the story with Fryette too... is it just the MIC models?

• Members

The VHT Standard 36 sounds like it would be a pretty awesome amp from the youtube demos.....but I've never got a chance to play one (or any of the new VHT, for that matter)
:(

I would never see any except for those that come through the local GC used. I don't think my store carries much outside of Fender, Marshall, and Vox - maybe some Line 6 and Peavey, but beyond that it's poop SS practice stuff. I think they used to carry Egnater, another brand I would love to try.

• Members

Did you ignore what I posted or make a funny? I'm familiar with the Special 6's but they don't suit me right now. I thought VHT had a good reputation based on the 6's, but maybe they're more of a cheap substitute for a better amp? I know the story with Fryette too... is it just the MIC models?

Whoops, yeah screwed that one up.

• Members

• Members

No worries, sorry for being harsh. I just can't tell on this forum, I think I'm too serious. You thought the 6-watt was ho-hum, then? An aside, the Rivera line looks great but out of my budget, and the Jet City seems too geared towards high-gain. But both are around the power range I'm looking for.

• Members

No worries, sorry for being harsh. I just can't tell on this forum, I think I'm too serious. You thought the 6-watt was ho-hum, then? An aside, the Rivera line looks great but out of my budget, and the Jet City seems too geared towards high-gain. But both are around the power range I'm looking for.

So, your looking for somewhat of an amp for cleans to light breakup in a 20 watt amp? I'll sell you my Rivera Clubster 25. I'm not in love with it and thinking I'll just go back to a Fender of some kind.

• Members

So, your looking for somewhat of an amp for cleans to light breakup in a 20 watt amp? I'll sell you my Rivera Clubster 25. I'm not in love with it and thinking I'll just go back to a Fender of some kind.

I would have to look into it, but I figure it's also out of my budget. I'm at work on my cell, but PM me if you'd like? I am looking for at least a Fender-ish sound, and had the impression that those Riveras get close. Also, I meant that the JCA20 and 22 are in the right range, not the 50.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Look for a Fryette-owned VHT Pittbull 45 or 50 ST (NOT 50 CL), or a Rivera R30/12 or R55/12. All 4 will do what you need, and are suprisingly cheap considering how expensive they were/are new. Also consider a Carvin Nomad or BelAir. Good sounds, Richard Hassebrock has posted many well-designed mods for both, and they go very cheaply used. They are affordable new, too!.

Full Disclosure... I've owned all of these, and still own a PB45, an R55/12 and a Nomad. Not just hearsay....

Hope that helps some

TL

• Members

I have the Special 12/20 and I can say it's a great amp for the money. I got mine for $400 brand new. Great grab and go amp for sure. The speaker sucks but I'm replacing it. Not a ton of tone shaping options but the amp is designed to take pedals really well and you can put an EQ in the loop. It does take pedals really well. I like the boost on it too. It's a good boost, adds a little more dirt. As I said in another thread, the amp does the mid-gain thing really well. It can get pretty filthy if you want it too with humbuckers. The amp is real easy to mod. The speaker is going to be easy to pull out and put in another. You can change any tubes for it. Well not all tubes but the majority. I played it at an outdoor gig and it sounded great. It's an amp that you control with the volume on your guitar. For the price if you can pick one up around $400, I recommend it. It's not the most amazing amp but it's a solid amp.

Archived