recording bass

Y0UNGBL00D

• Members

went in to track the bass today. i sat in the control room and gave thumbs up, thumbs down to takes while i did some design work.

how do you judge a bass track? i mean, it was on time, in tune, in key. what more is there?

as far as i can tell, you get some decent vanilla tracks, make sure all the low end freqs are there so that when you go to {censored} with it in post, you have material to work with. but i have no idea what "tone" to go for, etc.

• Members

Good question , not an easy answer . You are correct though about levels , timing etc etc the basic studio practice applies there but it depends on the tune , some bass tracks should sit in there and not be noticed , just do the job of holding a foundation but some tunes need a more aggressive bass line with a more in your face tone and attack . A great bass player can push the tune or pull it , direct it , tie it together , hold it down , lift it up and so on . It's really incredible the amount of influence a bassline can have over the entire song all while still sitting behind guitars and other instruments . For me I like to hear an organic sound with rich tone , some good cut and solid punchy bottom . Usually blending a good preamp like an API or Demeter with a mic'd amp like a SVT or B15 or Marshall gives up the classic electric bass tones .Blend to taste , lean more to the clean DI or more to the gritty amp and you'll have everything you need .

• Members

If it fits, it sits. I don't try to make it more complicated than that. Now if there's just the drums and bass going on, I can see where the uncertainty is coming from. Recording bass last seems to make things easier to deal with.

• Members

Good question , not an easy answer . You are correct though about levels , timing etc etc the basic studio practice applies there but it depends on the tune , some bass tracks should sit in there and not be noticed , just do the job of holding a foundation but some tunes need a more aggressive bass line with a more in your face tone and attack . A great bass player can push the tune or pull it , direct it , tie it together , hold it down , lift it up and so on . It's really incredible the amount of influence a bassline can have over the entire song all while still sitting behind guitars and other instruments . For me I like to hear an organic sound with rich tone , some good cut and solid punchy bottom . Usually blending a good preamp like an API or Demeter with a mic'd amp like a SVT or B15 or Marshall gives up the classic electric bass tones .Blend to taste , lean more to the clean DI or more to the gritty amp and you'll have everything you need .

pretty much this. didnt get much of the driven stuff though.

Archived