Minirectifier v. 5150 50w mini

cacheek

• Members

You are seriously one undecided dude on amps! Almost worse than me.

What can I say? I love my amplifiers, and life is too short not to enjoy as much gear as possible. I have settled on the Tweaker and L3 though, they are both awesome. With the extra dough I figured I pick up one more, then start saving for a new axe.

• Members

Abstract, don't mess with me today; I'm shorter than you!

So you need 3 tiny heads? ;)

I don't get it.

The Recto has 20w from EL84 and the 5153jr has 50w from 6l6's...which is closer to the Rectoverb (regarded as having some of the best tone of the Recto line) than the EL84 Recto.

How many channels you want?

2? ...Get the Rectoverb, save yourself some cash and get reverb.

3? ...Get the 5153jr.

• Members

So you need 3 tiny heads?
;)

I don't get it.

The Recto has 20w from EL84 and the 5153jr has 50w from 6l6's...which is closer to the Rectoverb (regarded as having some of the best tone of the Recto line) than the EL84 Recto.

How many channels you want?

2? ...Get the Rectoverb, save yourself some cash and get reverb.

3? ...Get the 5153jr.

But I like the smaller heads, they're so cute :(

Seriously, though, you think a Rectoverb would be the way to go? Can you cut the wattage down on those? Keep in mind that the L3 is small, but it's a 100 watt head. The Tweaker is a weird beast because it's a 40 watter, but sounds great. Does the 5153 come in a smaller format? Honestly (sorry for this), I didn't know a 5153 was made.

BTW: # of channels isn't an issue as I'm using these to record often and play with friend occasionally.

• Members

You are seriously one undecided dude on amps! Almost worse than me.

I know... he's always asking questions about amps.... what does he think this is an amp forum or something????

:p:lol:

• Members

If you are worried about tone and volume, the ROV is a bad choice. I had a DSL100 and traded it for a Rect-O-Verb. Big mistake. I hated that amp. The DSL has some shortfalls with the shared controls but sounds loads better than the ROV. I had to crank the recto to get rid of the fizz, loud enough to drown out the hardest hitting drummer. It literally turned into sex after that though. The DSL does better cleans, crunch, and rock just not at the same time. I was always tweaking the knobs.

Now for the Minirec, my buddy has one. It still sounds like a recto, just a bit less in your face. Hell I think for jamming it sounds better than its full size brother. The best part is you do not need to crank it to sound good. Even the 10 watt setting is more than enough.

I have not played any 5150 III, though I have heard them live. I have played the 5150 and 6505+. Those suckers need to be set above 2, which is quite loud, to sound best. If the 5150 III 50 watt is anything like those, then watch out.

• Members

If you are worried about tone and volume, the ROV is a bad choice. I had a DSL100 and traded it for a Rect-O-Verb. Big mistake. I hated that amp. The DSL has some shortfalls with the shared controls but sounds loads better than the ROV. I had to crank the recto to get rid of the fizz, loud enough to drown out the hardest hitting drummer. It literally turned into sex after that though. The DSL does better cleans, crunch, and rock just not at the same time. I was always tweaking the knobs.

Now for the Minirec, my buddy has one. It still sounds like a recto, just a bit less in your face. Hell I think for jamming it sounds better than its full size brother. The best part is you do not need to crank it to sound good. Even the 10 watt setting is more than enough.

I have not played any 5150 III, though I have heard them live. I have played the 5150 and 6505+. Those suckers need to be set above 2, which is quite loud, to sound best. If the 5150 III 50 watt is anything like those, then watch out.

Have you played the minirec clean at all? Some of the Mesa amps I've had had GREAT clean tones and I wonder if this one is similar in that regard.

• Members

My Rectoverb sounded LOADS better than my 6505 at lower volumes.

Cranked...well, to each is own. :thu:

Maybe keep the DSL and save for a Peavey5150?

• Members

The rectoverb sounds "different" in lower volumes than crancked. I think I liked it more in the lower volumes as it reminde me of some recorded tones.

The 5153 50 is supposed to have a pretty good master volume check this one out:

[video=youtube;KYqRf4LNuoM]

And that cab requires 1-2 watts to take your head off...

Other than nwright I haven't heard ANY decent demos of the 50 watt in moderate/loud volumes, does anybody stomped into one?

• Members

Have you played the minirec clean at all? Some of the Mesa amps I've had had GREAT clean tones and I wonder if this one is similar in that regard.

If you want squeaky, chimey, cleans its not going to happen. Cleans can be somewhat bland, there is lots of mids. Don't get me wrong there are still good clean tones to be had for sure. There is not a lot of headroom so that could be part of it. However, if you like some grit or crunch it does it in spades. The pushed mode is great and covers a good amount of tones. Come to think of it, pushed and vintage are my favorite modes of either the ROV and Minirec.

I had a Mark V which has some of the best cleans, no matter what style you want.

Archived